Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I tell if I got one of the new updated MacBook Air models?

Hello,

I bought a new MacBook Air this week (6 May 2014 to be precise) after the announcement was made of a minor update to the processor which is supposed to extend battery life. When I check its serial number, however, I expected to see "Early 2014", but instead it identifies as a "Mid 2013" model. Is this correct? And if so, how do I know whether or not I got one of the updated models?

Specs in attached screenshot.

User uploaded file

Thanks in advance,

Lee

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on May 8, 2014 5:21 AM

10 replies

May 9, 2014 7:12 PM in response to lrazo

I have the same issue. Just got off a long call with Apple Care who suggested I call Apple corporate offices. The issue only happens when you order a Macbook Air online (need custom RAM, etc). They then take a 2013 model and customize it for you leaving the "Mid 2013) branding. I believe they didn't figure it was worth spending the time and $ to redo the firmware. A detail that Steve Jobs would not have let pass.

May 25, 2014 3:22 PM in response to carl wolf

This happened to me also. I bought latest macbook air from Macmall.com and customized RAM to 8GB. Macmall.com refused to take a return for replacement. AppleCare is also not much help. They told me that they have similar issue with few Macbooks and they told me that they are trying figureout what exactly is wrong though they did not suggest me a fix date yet.

May 29, 2014 8:39 PM in response to lrazo

I am having the same exact issue. I thought the reason might be because my customized version which has a 1.7 Ghz Core i7 is the same processor as the mid-2013 models. However in looking at some other posts online people with customized versions that have 8 GB of memory are having the same issue, even if their processor is the 1.4 Ghz Core i5 which is only included in the early 2014 models.

They Early-2014 Models came out on April 29th 2014, and looking at my serial number you can see that my computer was made AFTER that date.

There are however computers that show do Early 2014 such as the MacBook Air in this unboxing video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjkrv2-kwCs

What's interesting is the computer in the video was made BEFORE mine (from the serial number) yet it shows as newer in Apple's system

Now I have seen some posts indicating that apple will fix this issue via an update, however it is NOT just a software issue but also an issue in Apple's computer systems

If I look my device up on https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

It shows as a mid-2013 Model, whereas if I look up the MBA in the YouTube unboxing it shows as an early 2014.

I really hope Apple fixes this, I have spoken with managers at two Apple Retail stores and they offered to exchange my device within the return period, but I have yet to have gotten a chance to head over, I will likely within a day or two.

How can I tell if I got one of the new updated MacBook Air models?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.