Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

will I be able to restore a new iPad with a BackUp from a old one?

I have an iPad Model MD371LL/A that i'm selling. I will buy a new one as sonn it releases the new model.

Will I be able to restore a new iPad with a BackUp from a old one?

iPad, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 8, 2014 8:18 AM

2 replies

May 8, 2014 8:25 AM in response to Yuny fromWC

Yes.

The only 'catch' you may encounter. Let's say your old one is running iOS 7.1.1, and your new one is running iOS 7.0.6, you will first need to update your new one to be running 7.1.1, then y ou can restore it from the backup of your old one and make it a near clone of the old one.

Chances are you won't encounter this, but there have been instances where folks get a broken ipad replaced and try to restore the new one from the backup of the old one and since the replacement is running an older iOS than the replaced one it doesn't work. In that case you set up the replacement long enough to update the iOS then restore it.

But, likely what will happen for you is what happened for me when I bought a new iPod Touch. I did a full backup of my old one then wiped it. Brought the new one home and during hte set up process I had a choice 'set up as new or restore from the backup of the old one'. I chose restore and my new one was a near clone of the old one. I still needed to set up wifi and enter a few passwords to websites, but the data and contents crossed over.

If you are selling your old one you may want to read this about wiping your device to make it usable by the buyer. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5661

will I be able to restore a new iPad with a BackUp from a old one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.