Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I convert an standar account into an admin one since Terminal?

Hi, Everybody!

Trying to overcome some bugs on my MacBook, I decided to erase some folders from system and install Mac OS X from its original DVD. Bad idea. Now I only have one account, which may be the Admin one, but appears as a Standar one. I'm blocked now, cause I cannot change it, create a new admin account, activate the Root User, neither do a Software Uptade. Note I'm running now Mac OS X (10.6.3).

I hope I can avoid formatting my hard disk and all that it implies. I'm wondering if I can create a new admin account or change the actual one since Terminal, because I can run it starting up my machine from the Mac OS DVD.

Thanks for your attention and help.User uploaded file

MacBook (13-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 8, 2014 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2014 6:44 AM

Hey Cauac,

Thanks for the question. Let’s see if resetting the root password resolves your issue:

Mac OS X 10.5: Administrator user changes to standard

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1278

Resolution

1. Start from your Mac OS X 10.5 Install DVD. (You do not need to install Leopard again.)

2. From the Utilities menu, choose Reset Password (do not choose Firmware Password Utility).

3. Follow the onscreen instructions to reset the root password (the root account is not the same as your account). Specifically: Select the name of the drive that Mac OS X is installed on, select the user named "System Administrator (root)" from the pop-up menu, type the password in the first field, re-enter the password in the second field, then click the Save button.

4. Restart from your Mac OS X Leopard volume.

5. When the login window appears, select "Other..." and log in as the root user using the password that was created above. Note: If Mac OS X automatically logs in, choose Log Out (name) from the Apple menu to get to the login window.

6. Go to Accounts preferences and check (enable) "Allow user to administer this computer" for the affected user.

7. From the Apple menu, choose Log Out root....

8. Log in as the user account that had this issue. (Your account should now have administrator access.)

9. Use Directory Utility to disable the root user via Directory Utility's Edit menu. You may need to click the lock icon first).

Thanks,

Matt M.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2014 6:44 AM in response to Cauac

Hey Cauac,

Thanks for the question. Let’s see if resetting the root password resolves your issue:

Mac OS X 10.5: Administrator user changes to standard

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1278

Resolution

1. Start from your Mac OS X 10.5 Install DVD. (You do not need to install Leopard again.)

2. From the Utilities menu, choose Reset Password (do not choose Firmware Password Utility).

3. Follow the onscreen instructions to reset the root password (the root account is not the same as your account). Specifically: Select the name of the drive that Mac OS X is installed on, select the user named "System Administrator (root)" from the pop-up menu, type the password in the first field, re-enter the password in the second field, then click the Save button.

4. Restart from your Mac OS X Leopard volume.

5. When the login window appears, select "Other..." and log in as the root user using the password that was created above. Note: If Mac OS X automatically logs in, choose Log Out (name) from the Apple menu to get to the login window.

6. Go to Accounts preferences and check (enable) "Allow user to administer this computer" for the affected user.

7. From the Apple menu, choose Log Out root....

8. Log in as the user account that had this issue. (Your account should now have administrator access.)

9. Use Directory Utility to disable the root user via Directory Utility's Edit menu. You may need to click the lock icon first).

Thanks,

Matt M.

Can I convert an standar account into an admin one since Terminal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.