Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to repair a corrupted Final Cut Pro X library database file?

I was working on a project today and for some reason Final Cut Pro X crashed. When I reopened Final Cut Pro X, my library reopened, but it reopened without any events or media, and no projects. Where there is usually an "Event icon" (the purple Icon with a white star) on the Library Browser, now it shows an expandable folder (with an arrow you can click on) with no contents inside. Upon closer inspection of the Library File ('Show Package Contents"), it shows all of the correct folders and files to make up all of the Events and Projects, but it will not open in FCPX correctly. I have an old backup of my library, but it does not have any of the numerous changes I have made over the past week to the project, so I still have all of my media secure, I just done want to lose my work. I also turned off auto-library backups when I noticed that backups of all of the media was filling up my boot drive.

Any ideas on how to repair the database files that seem to be corrupted?

FYI, I am using Final Cut Pro X 10.1.1 on an OS X Mavericks Mac Pro.

Thanks for any help.

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on May 8, 2014 3:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2014 3:40 PM

What works for some users in similar circumstances is to trash the flexolibrary file (the database you ask about) – with FCP X closed, of course. When the app is relaunched, it rebuilds the file.

Best of luck.

Russ

17 replies

May 8, 2014 4:10 PM in response to patrickfog

Sorry…and I do feel your pain.

This morning – for inexplicable reasons – I found that I could not work with three libraries. At first I just got a lot of 60 second beachballs, biut soon things spun out if control and I couldn't open them from Final Cut. Like you, everything lookedfine inside the bundle. I tried a long list of fixes and when I decided to rebuild the database, the Finder would not let me trash the flexolibrary. (Nor would it even let me rename the library.) FCP Backups would not work either. Even restoring from Time Machine, FCP X would not open a version of these libraries.

After a lot of sweat and swearing, things seem to be fine again. I removed the Time Machine destination drive from the network, rebooted the system and life is – for now anyhow – good again.

Rss

Apr 14, 2016 6:17 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Any idea how to fix that one event? I would not like to import all the 250GB videos again to FCPX just because of this. I'm happy those videos still exist so I could import them (not even used in projects yet) but would like to see some solution for the database issue...

Edit.

This is what I have recently tried.

1. Remove CurrentVersion.fcpevent file from corrupted event while FCPX is closed --> No effect

2. Remove CurrentVersion.flexolibrary file from corrupted library while FCPX is closed to rebuild it --> The corrupted event disappeared totally from FCPX. So now i don't see even the empty event.

Apr 17, 2016 10:27 AM in response to miika_p

If you did them in that order, 1 then 2, the event will be lost. You need to to do 2 then 1 if this will have a chance to work. I don't know if putting the fcpevent file back will help at this stage.

Which fcpevent file did you move? I hope the one at the top level of the event, not the one inside the project folder.

Sorry to not get back to you sooner, but I missed your messages when the forums were done and notifications became disabled.

Apr 17, 2016 11:12 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks Tom. So I did them in wrong order. First 1 and then 2.

I tried putting back the .fcpevent file to this problematic event folder but it had no difference. Event did not appear again. I also tried removing the flexolibrary file again with no effect (meaning doing those steps again in your order). Also restarted my mac in between just to make sure.

Apr 28, 2016 5:26 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom. This actually just happened to me last night, April 27th. I have a large event broken up into several projects and last night when I was editing FCPX just crashed saying that one project of this particular event was now corrupt. I did the research through several forums and it was definitely not an issue with disk space: I have a 1TB SSD as well as a 1TB Seagate in my maxed out iMac 2012 -- and so, I then performed step (2) of the above thread: "Remove CurrentVersion.flexolibrary file from corrupted library while FCPX is closed to rebuild it" ... but nothing happened. Still crashed when I clicked on that particular project.

Inside the event, this lengthy project is dedicated to several long interviews and what I assumed is ... perhaps in the delirium of 4AM editing, I shut down FCPX before background tasks were completed and it left the last import of a few files, corrupted.

Everything is backed up in my "Movies" folder and when I went back to backup of April 26th, the same project within the event opened perfectly and I am now (for the most part) relieved. Before I reached that conclusion (which was seriously ... moments ago), I backed everything up on another brand new 3TB. It's still transferring.

I color labeled the two last default back-ups that were the mean culprits -- and I am sure they will also transfer to the new drive. Once all of that transferring is completed, is it safe to go ahead and delete them from both external drives? --and just work from the most recent library that was uncorrupted? Please advise. And then, should I just work from the new drive or is it safe to continue working from the original? I have very little doubt that any error was mechanical -- probably the untimely or improper shut-down before background tasks completed in the transcoding of media me thinks.

Also, I live in Panama and sometimes the power just goes out -- even with my never-ending, daisy-chained set of universal power supplies, you never know how that might affect it.

Please advise when you can.

I attached two photos -- one of my computer specs and the other, of the initial FCPX report at a 4AM April 28th (technically it was this morning).

Thank you,

Sarah

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Is there a way to repair a corrupted Final Cut Pro X library database file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.