Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro Mavericks system totally stop and unresponsible

Macbooks in new OS mavericks can suddenly totally stop work. System time does not go, trackpad does not move the pointer and image on screen freeze. Only reboot by pressing and holding power button help.

This problem is like https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5481839 but this is different problem. And look like apple fix problem in discussion by link. But problem, described by me still active. Many peoples face with this problem and all we are waiting fix from apple.

I bought macbook pro retina 13 in december 2013 and this is my first seriouse problem. I really can't work with laptop because any time it can stop. And only hard reboot can help him.

There are demostration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-PVksQ9N8U&feature=youtu.be by user yaya2011.

P.S. Sorry my english, write better who can and i replace my text 🙂

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on May 9, 2014 1:46 AM

14 replies

May 9, 2014 1:55 AM in response to unton

I have a MBP retina 15" that I bought in january 2014 - does not have discrete graphics - only Intel Iris Pro - I experience the problem primarily with Chrome and Firefox (though it happens with other apps too!). Usually there is flash/html5/video involved, but not necessarily. Sometimes just the animation from opening/closing a tab can trigger the freeze.

My mac is more unstable than an unpatched Windows Vista machine with bad RAM. Some days it doesn't freeze, but other days there are several freezes per day.

COME ON APPLE! This is a real problem! I have two MBA that are rock stable. Much more useful than my much more expensive MBP retina.

May 9, 2014 2:02 AM in response to daath

My freezes also often happens on tab open/closing animation, but not always. And i also work most time on windows laptop because it is more stable than new MBPr. And also 3 times cheaper.

Problem looks like software, because owners of old macbooks face with that same problem after updating to mavericks.

May 9, 2014 3:17 PM in response to daath

Hi-

I have experienced a similar problem every few days since buying my early 2013 rMBP 13" this past February. My colleague has the same model and sees the same problem. Both on 10.9.2.

There is never a diagnostic log entry preceeding the crash, nor a kernel panic.

Afterwards, I sometimes get this error code, but not on every occasion:

5/9/14 2:33:29.000 PM kernel[0]: Previous Shutdown Cause: -112

The Apple Store in Seattle replaced the mainboard (incl. RAM) on my machine. I've also formatted and cleanly reinstalled etc. Beyond this they were uncooperative and not willing to replace/refund.

Apple Tech Support over the phone has been helpful but hasn't really been able to make headway in identifying the problem. Their most recent suggestion was that I cleanly reinstall Mavericks and use only Apple software.

Unforunately that is not really a viable option since my computer is a research and teaching tool, rather than a toy.

Guess next time around I'll go Linux/Lenovo.

May 26, 2014 7:06 AM in response to unton

Hi Guy,

After 15 days, I get back my Mbpr 13" today.

The genuis guy changed my mother board.

They send my log to apple engineer for analyse, they found nothing.They advise to me uninstall my application one by one if the problem appear again.

According somme debriefing, the problem doesn't solve despite of change hardware.

Wait and see.

Jun 23, 2014 4:00 PM in response to unton

I don't have a fix but I can confirm this is still a problem, even on newer Macbook Pro's. I purchased a 13" rMBP 512gb 2.6ghz 10 days ago, and going by my serial number this machine was built in March 2014. I have the most recent EFI 1.3 update, verified in my system info panel. Mavericks 10.9.3, all updates applied from software update.

Started a couple days ago, occasionally, seemingly random, the mouse and trackpad stop working completely. System is still running, I can see the time changes and animations on the menu bar status icons for activity. If I press the power button I get a popup asking if I want to reboot or sleep, but I can't make a choice because the trackpad and keyboard doesn't work.

I read the other giant thread and saw the tip about closing the lid and waiting a few minutes, so I'll be trying that next, but this is beyond frustrating. This should not be happening on a brand new computer.

Sep 29, 2014 9:13 AM in response to unton

Brand new OSX user here; long time Windows user.

I was ready for a new laptop, and thought maybe try a MacBook. After MUCH humming and hawing, I decided to give it a try. I thought dropping $1700 for a MacBook was a little much, but went with it anyway because everyone that uses one says: It's so good; never have issues; so fast and smooth; it just works perfectly.

Anyway, I went with the MacBook Pro 13" Retina, 256gb SSD, 8GB RAM (mid 2014 model; July refresh). For the price I paid, I expected better; definitely not the trouble-free experience I was expecting.

YES, I often do get the system freezes. The mouse would stop responding, the trackpad would do nothing; and the keyboard was unresponsive. It would freeze up for a bit, and then start working again. Sometimes it was for a few seconds, sometimes a lot longer...minutes. I had to do a hard shutdown just once (long-hold power button) because it remained in the non-responsive state and would not come back to life. From all the reviews I've read about video editing, they all said it's pretty decent; and pretty smooth. I've used iMovie to create a video, and it was definitely not smooth. Very choppy; got the colour wheel spinning many, many times even though all pics and video clips were stored locally on the SSD. It was quite frustrating.

I decided to search the freezing issue and found that many with the same system are having the same issue. I'm starting to regret my purchase big time.

Hope it is a software issue and it will be fixed with Yosemite. Fingers crossed.

Macbook pro Mavericks system totally stop and unresponsible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.