Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

replace video card

Hi,

I'm 99% sure my video card needs to be replaced. When I try to turn the machine on, you hear it boot up, but the screen won't come on. I tried a couple of reset options I find online, but that didn't work. I hooked it up to a monitor and the screen still didn't come up on the separate monitor which is why I think it's the video card.

All that being said, I have no idea what video card I should use. Any advice would be great. I don't want to spend more than $50 on it b/c this macbook pro is 7 years old.

Thanks,

Kristen

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 9, 2014 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2014 7:44 AM

Hi Kristen,

With a MacBook Pro, some models have the graphics module as part of the logic board, some as a small board connected to the logic board. Some, the graphics "chip" is an integral part of the central processor itself.

Only way to tell for sure what is happening is to take the MBP to an Apple store genius bar and have the techs test it. They have far better diagnositc tools than we mere mortals have available. The testing is free and they can then advise what needs to be done and cost.

Make an appointment, Apple Retail Store lookup below in blue, Genius bar, Make an Appointment, since they can get really, really busy.

Ralph

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2014 7:44 AM in response to kmbdickerson

Hi Kristen,

With a MacBook Pro, some models have the graphics module as part of the logic board, some as a small board connected to the logic board. Some, the graphics "chip" is an integral part of the central processor itself.

Only way to tell for sure what is happening is to take the MBP to an Apple store genius bar and have the techs test it. They have far better diagnositc tools than we mere mortals have available. The testing is free and they can then advise what needs to be done and cost.

Make an appointment, Apple Retail Store lookup below in blue, Genius bar, Make an Appointment, since they can get really, really busy.

Ralph

May 9, 2014 8:03 AM in response to kmbdickerson

You are welcome...see what they say...and even if the video is bad, you can remove and use the hard drive with another machine. Did that for my daughter when she destroyed the screen on her MBP...removed the hard drive, put it in a cheap enclosure, from OWC, http://www.macsales.com for about $20, and now all content of the drive is available to the new MBP or anyother Mac.

Ralph

replace video card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.