Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloaded music gone after authorizing computer?? Where is it??

I recently purchased a new Dell laptop with Windows 8 and downloaded I Tunes. I had it on my old laptop & everything worked just fine. I had been purchasing music from the I Tunes store but had not had a chance to sync my I Pod Nano lately. I tried today and it wouldn't at first because my new laptop had not been authorized. Once I got this issue resolved, I could log in to I Tunes and see the music I needed to download as each song had the little cloud and arrow on it. I selected Download ALL and then they did- the status bar at the top was moving showing the songs and then it finished.

However, when I went to plug my I Pod in to the USB to sync it like I used to do on the old laptop, it required that I log back in to I Tunes- which I did. At that point, a new screen opened for my I Pod and the purchased music was no longer on the screen. It wasn't anywhere. I selected check for available downloads and it says all have been downloaded. But where??? The new music did show up on my I Pad and I Phone immediately- and that's great- but I wanted it on my I Pod. The only music showing on my I Pod and in my Library on I Tunes are the songs that were already on there.$ 14 later- I only have the music on 2 of the 4 devices.

How do I find the music again in I Tunes or use my I Pad to get the music to sync to my I pod? Where is the music that I downloaded on my laptop? I've looked everywhere. I called the City Mac store and they suggested plugging my I Pad into my computer but the options they told me to try didn't even come up to back it up to my laptop... so now I can't even do that either... So frustrated. Any help from anyone?? Thanks in advance.

Posted on May 9, 2014 2:57 PM

5 replies

May 9, 2014 3:15 PM in response to turingtest2

Ok thanks for some suggestions-

But, I Tunes will no longer open on my old laptop, it says it' s missing certain plug in's?? so I'm afraid to uninstall it and re-download it for fear it would wipe out the existing library. If I can't open I Tunes to see my existing library of songs on my I Pod, how can I copy it to put on my new one?

Next- the music I was trying to download was recently purchased but only attempted to download and sync today- that music was there but went away after the authorization and re-log in to I tunes. I still have all the old music showing on my new laptop when in Itunes, just grayed out. How can I retrieve this music? If from my I pad- how? I tried to sync with new laptop but it didn't work.

Is there any way to save everything that is on my I Pad- since its all the music now, to the Cloud so it will always be safe & could restore on all devices? If so, can you provide a link? Would this possiblly help the I pod situation?

Thanks.

May 9, 2014 4:07 PM in response to CJDaisy

See Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for general advice on repairing iTunes, however you don't need iTunes to be working on the laptop in order to copy the iTunes folder from it. See this migrate iTunes library post for suggestions.

Your iTunes purchases should be available for redownload from the cloud, but the earlier link should show how to recover all of the media from your devices, should it be needed, and associate the devices with the new library. Moving the library over is much easier than recovering the data from your devices.

Ideally you would backup you library and personal data on a regular basis, using iTunes in the Cloud as a secondary backup or for access to purchases from your devices.

tt2

May 9, 2014 8:22 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the recent post- it will be a big help as I transfer everything to the new laptop.I have a new part to this problem. I cannot get my I pod nano 8 GB (4/5 gen) with tons of free space to synch with iTunes on my new laptop with windows 8. It turns on & says it is then says to disconnect, but none of the newly downloaded/purchased music actually transfers. When I click on devices it says at the bottom there is a problem with the device driver. The USB cord works fine in all other areas so it isn't that. Any suggestions? I was able to download the new version of I tunes to the old laptop using tho same cord & it worked great. None of the newly purchased music was available only what was already existing. He new music only shows on I tunes on the new laptop & phone & pad. Thx.

Downloaded music gone after authorizing computer?? Where is it??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.