Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Apple maps NEVER re-route during traffic??

Apples website says on Apple maps a main feature is quote:

User uploaded file

"With Maps, you get real-time traffic information to calculate your ETA. Maps gives you details on what’s causing a backup, so you can tell if there’s a major incident or just a temporary slowdown. And if traffic’s a mess, Maps offers alternative routes to save you time."

Uh, execuse me? I've never once in the history of Apples maps ever had it re-route me. NEVER. EVER. It just doesn't do it, even if you you run across a 15 hour traffic jam Apple maps will never ever ever ever re-route you. Period. So this is either a GLITCH, or Apple is lying and has false advertising. Also NONE of my friends who have an iPhone have either. Ever. EVER!!!. Also not a single person on the internet has ever said it works. Wow...

Is Apple lying or is this a glitch?

If this is a glitch, APPLE PLEASE FIX THIS IN THE NEXT UPDATE. I took screen shots of your claims on your websites so I can report it and hopefully it will get fixed, and if it doesn't, then I'm pretty sure you guys MUST take it down from your website.

http://www.apple.com/ios/maps/

Posted on May 9, 2014 4:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2016 6:57 PM

I can confirm as of March 2016 in iOS 9.3 that Apple maps does indeed re-route you. At least that is the case whilst using Apple's CarPlay. During times of intense traffic I will often get a prompt "faster route available - X minutes faster." Clicking on this will re route the route. The same is true when a an incident is on the Motorway I will get a similar message stating "Incident Ahead in x KM's" which just gives you the option to click ok in order to dismiss it.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2016 6:57 PM in response to Joe Z in VA

I can confirm as of March 2016 in iOS 9.3 that Apple maps does indeed re-route you. At least that is the case whilst using Apple's CarPlay. During times of intense traffic I will often get a prompt "faster route available - X minutes faster." Clicking on this will re route the route. The same is true when a an incident is on the Motorway I will get a similar message stating "Incident Ahead in x KM's" which just gives you the option to click ok in order to dismiss it.

May 9, 2014 6:28 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Yes, they are all turned on. I researched it online and everyone says that Apple maps NEVER re-route them during traffic... Have you ever had it actually work before??? Apple maps does show me "traffic" and the red areas where there is Traffic but it never reroutes me during a traffic jam, ever. It always leads me straight into heavy traffic areas. I searched on this forum and there are dozen + threads all saying the same thing that Apple maps never re-route them. So it's not just me it's happening to everyone.

So to the guy who simply said it's off-topic you're wrong. Yes, I was making a "Statement" complaining to/about Apple, but I clearly was asking a question also about WHY the iPhone's maps DO NOT WORK properly. According to the "search function" there are a dozen threads about Apple maps in the "using iPhone" forum so this forum is perfectly fine for asking a question about Apple maps. Also reading this forum it's clear any problems or questions belongs in this forum,

May 10, 2014 6:19 AM in response to Josh-17

I use Apple Maps most of the time as it's the default and it's what gets used if I use Siri. It's been ok, though I haven't noticed one way or another if it routes around traffic.

Waze is quite good about trying to reroute you around traffic, though it has tried to reroute me onto non-existant roads. It's now owned by Google. I use Waze on long car trips, not so much because I need navigation but because it warns me of upcoming hazards, police, accidents.

Dec 1, 2014 6:05 PM in response to Josh-17

"And if traffic’s a mess, Maps offers alternative routes to save you time."

It never said that it would reroutes you. But when you ask for directions ( not from Siri ) it will show 3 different routs to take with the time it will take. It picks these routes based on several things including traffic. You pick one and your on your way. There are no changes after you pick. One day we can hope for a Reroute system.

Feb 21, 2016 11:48 AM in response to testsubject6

unfortunately two years later I'm still waiting for it. sadly does not work outside of the metropolitan area. I did have a five-minute reroute but that was only in the highest expensive area to live in. I had every route from Washington DC to Arlington Virginia to Alexandria, but after I left Alexandria, all the fastest routes that we got reroutings end.

Oct 11, 2016 6:11 PM in response to Josh-17

I Find myself sitting in a parking lot of traffic not moving while stare at a nice traffic free blue line on my screen. Maps seems to never give me the quickest route home from work, but the quickest route to the nearest highway that adds 20 minutes to my comute. The app is complete freshman league regarding the access of features you need while driving like one touch zoom out to see your route, traffic information updated correctly to mirror the actual conditions on the road, and it still needs to give accurate directions that don't end 2 miles from where you desire to be. I try it once a month, and then it goes back to the garbage folder with Game Center, find friends, and all the other apps that serve no real purpose. I then open google maps and get the quickest route home with accurate traffic conditions and drive. Put google maps into car play already.

Why does Apple maps NEVER re-route during traffic??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.