Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting iPhone freezes iTunes w/ Kaspersky Antivirus 2014 Win 7 x64?

Since upgrading Kaspersky Antivirus (KAV) from 2013 to 2014, iTunes locks up when I plug my iPhone 5S in (sync automatically is off). The iPhone dings twice, and appears in the left side menu, but clicking on it does nothing, and iTunes is then frozen.

I can usually unfreeze iTunes by "pausing protection" in KAV, but I have not found any exclusion rules that work - I have to completely disable it. I can also unfreeze iTunes by plugging out the iPhone and stopping and restarting the Apple Mobile Device Service.

Sometimes I can actually get it to work with a combination of these things, and sync successfully.

I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes and its associated software per Apple instructions - it makes no difference. Restarting and reinstalling KAV makes no difference. Clearly KAV is doing something to block the functioning of Apple's processes.

I had a similar problem a few years back. I had to use task manager to stop and restart Apple Mobile Device Service every time I wanted to sync my phone. The problem worked itself out at some point (something upgraded?).

I'm posting here, because Kaspersky support is not helpful. They will tell me to reinstall KAV (which I have done). I'm hoping someone else has seen this problem?

Thanks,

JW

PC-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on May 9, 2014 4:20 PM

3 replies

Jul 9, 2014 6:03 PM in response to JosephWit

I got the following information from Kaspersky support. Perhaps it can be helpful.

First check this helpful Apple support page

Resolve issues between iTunes and security software

In KAV14 is is possible to create exclusion rules

Please check the article below for more information about exclusions:

http://support.kaspersky.com/10017

Create exclusion rules for iTunes and its compenents by excluding the folders:

under c:\program files X86:

=> Apple Software Update + Bonjour + iTunes + etc?

under c:\Program Data: (hidden folder)

==> Apple Computer

Then reboot the computer.

This should work according to Kaspersky support, and basically lets KAV14 ignore any activity by iTunes..... nice? ... not.

!! Please take note that by doing this you basically create a possible hole in your security !!

And this issue is a reason for me to kick Kaspsersky at the end of my payment plan, if not resolved soon.

Jul 9, 2014 8:05 PM in response to WKok

Thanks for the suggestions. I did solve it - it was easier than that. I first created exclusion rules for all of the folders and apps suggested above and in the previous threads. I then backed off one by one to see what was really necessary. Turns out, only one rule is needed: select "Manage Trusted Applications" and add iTunes.exe as a trusted application. In the box setting up that rule, I checked the first four boxes ("Do not scan files before opening", "Do not monitor application activity", "Do not inherit restrictions...", and "Do not monitor child application activity"). Now works perfectly, no problem plugging in iPhone and syncing. No "Exclusion rules" necessary - only the one "trusted application". (Again, this is for KAV 2014).

I'm not sure why (it appears) that relatively few people have this problem. I only wish that Kaspersky support had been able to supply the information.

All in all, I still like KAV - it doesn't seem to slow anything down or get in the way.

Connecting iPhone freezes iTunes w/ Kaspersky Antivirus 2014 Win 7 x64?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.