Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Admin Password Issue

I wanna change my admin password but I can't because I don't know what it is.. I have never encountered any problems in terms of downloading/installing/updating/moving/ etc.. When prompted, I just type in my users account password.

It's not the same as the User account passwd and not the same as the Filevault passwd.

Is there a way to reset it without losing my data?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on May 10, 2014 1:01 AM

25 replies

May 10, 2014 8:30 AM in response to Apostolos S. Makedon

If your user is an Admin user account, then the password that you supply for installing things IS your admin password. What happens when you try to change it in System Prefs > Users & Groups?

You can reset the admin password following the steps here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1274

Or are you talking about your AppleID password?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5787

May 12, 2014 4:23 PM in response to Apostolos S. Makedon

hi there,

if you can install software or apply Updates from Apple, your user account does have admin privileges.

Unfortunately benwiggy gave you a support link for older versions of OSX. With Mavericks the said menu entry is gone from the Utilities menu. Therefore an extra step is necessary to regain access to the program which allows you to change passwords without knowing them.

To do so, press the ALT key at system startup. You will be presented a choice of boot options. Select "Recovery 10.9" there, select "Terminal" from the "Utilities" menu and finally enter "Resetpassword" (without the quotation marks) at the terminal's prompt.

A new window will open where you can choose Administrator from the drop down menu. The Administrator will be the first entry in the menu and have the account short name in brackets next to it

There are two things to be cautious about here:

First, make sure you select "Administrator" and not "System Administrator" in the user selection menu. The later is the root account which is only needed if you want to make changes to the FreeBSD basis of OSX. Unless you have specifically enabled this root account, it is not active on your system and its password cannot be altered.

Or could it be that you are trying to change the root password without having activated the root account beforehand. In that case you would receive exactly the error message you are referring to

Second, I am currently not sure whether this way of password retrival is possible, if FileVault is active. See these articles from Apple's knowledge base for further information:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5077

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4790

May 12, 2014 7:20 PM in response to Christian A. Burkert

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileO

User uploaded file

*Picture no.1 is a sign that I'm the administrator because the checked box says: " Require administrators password in order to do system-oriantated changes ".

The password I type in when there's such changes to be done is the same as my user account's.

There I can also change my password without problems. ( User account password ).

*Pictures 2 & 3 is where I'm stuck. There, I type in my current user account's password but it's not accepting it.
( This is at User groups ). You probably know that, just wanted to make it clear.

I tried to do what you decribed but the only thing that shows up are two similar icons of a HDD. ( The silver HDD )
The one says "Mac", which is where my files are located and the other one is called ifob or ifboo or something.. I don't recall. I didn't select that because I don't know what it is and to be honest I don't even know if it's clickable.

Anyways,

I hope I explained it clearly enough and thanks for taking the time!

May 13, 2014 2:42 AM in response to andyBall_uk

Sorry but that last message confused me a bit. ( "But you don't have to enter" etc. )

I am able to change my users account password but I am not able to change the password in picture 3, if you scroll up a littlebit..

That password is called " Main Password ". The one I am able to change is the user password, the one I log in with on a regular basis.

They are not the same obviously...

May 13, 2014 3:06 AM in response to Apostolos S. Makedon

Let's try a different approach:

if you have not enabled root beforehand, the following eleven steps will activate it

1. in Finder click on Go in menu at the top of the Screen
  2. from the Go menu select Computer
  3. there click on Macintosh HD
  4. click on System
  5. click on Library
  6. click on CoreServices
  7. open the app named Directory Utility
  8. in Directory Utility click on Edit in menu at the top of the Screen
  9. from the Edit menu select Enable Root User
  10. you will be asked to enter a password for root
  11. if you want to keep the root account active afterwards, choose a secure and strong password

Now let's get back to the original problem:

1. Log out of your current account and log into the root account
  2. Now open Terminal from the /Programs/Utilities folder
  3. Enter the following command into terminal
  4. cd /Users
  5. there memorize the name of the account whose password needs to be reset
  6. now enter this command
  7. passwd <name-of-user>
  8. enter a new password and reenter it to confirm
  9. your password is now reset
  10. since the keychain in which OSX stores all user related passwords requires the old password, you will need to create a new keychain. unfortunately you will lose the existing keychain
  11. you can however save the file login.keychain from /Users/<name-of-user>/Library/Keychains in case you remember the missing password at a later time
  12. now log out of the root account and log into your regular user account

If you want you can now disable the root account again by selecting Disable Root Account from the Edit menu

of the Directory Utility

Hopefully your problem is solved now 🙂

May 13, 2014 3:24 AM in response to Apostolos S. Makedon

<<That password is called " Main Password ". The one I am able to change is the user password, the one I log in with on a regular basis.>>

Now that is a really important piece of information!

That might render my previous posting somewhat off topic:

The main or master password is the password that is needed for FileVault disk encryption. Let me do some quick research on that.

Admin Password Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.