Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My IPhone 5s won't let me scan my finger

When I first bought my iphone the finger scan worked perfectly fine but then last week I put my iphone into the water proof case and took pictures underwater then the bottom Half of the phone was in a bit of water, it still works perfectly fine I can still press the activater button to leave something but I can't use it to scan my finger so I went to settings and Touch ID . It wouldn't let me press add finger print because the two buttons weren't green (use Touch ID for iTunes and lock for your phone) so I switched it on but it just said operation was not sucessful, I didn't even put my finger on yet. So how do I fix it? My phone iOS Is up to date and about my finger having oils and stuff doesn't even have anything to do with the problem

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 10, 2014 2:05 AM

7 replies

May 10, 2014 4:10 AM in response to Giselle274

Hi

These are the troubleshooting points from apple about touch ID:

However are you sure the touch ID is completely free of water if your phone got wet? The sensors are quite a delicate part! Might be worth a trip to apple if you cant see an obvious solution.

Hope this helps

Resolving issues with Touch ID

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iOS.
  2. Make sure that your fingers and the Home button are clean and dry.*
    Note: Cover the Home button completely. Don't tap too quickly, don't press down hard, and don't move your finger while Touch ID is scanning. Make sure that your finger touches the metal ring around the Home button.
  3. If you're using a protective case or screen protector, it must leave the Home button and the surrounding ring completely unobscured. If it doesn't, remove the case or screen protector and try again.
  4. Tap Settings > Touch ID & Passcode and verify that:
    • iPhone Unlock or iTunes & App Store is on.
    • You enrolled one or more fingerprints.
  5. Try enrolling a different finger.
  6. If you can't enroll any of your fingers, take your iPhone 5s to an Apple Retail Store, Apple Authorized Service Provider, or contact AppleCare for further assistance.

* Moisture, lotions, sweat, oils, cuts, or dry skin might affect fingerprint recognition. Certain activities can also temporarily affect fingerprint recognition, including exercising, showering, swimming, cooking, or other conditions or changes that affect your fingerprint.

My IPhone 5s won't let me scan my finger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.