9 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2014 1:07 AM by Wimbre
Wimbre Level 1 Level 1

Hi,

I have an imac and a Time Machine. My videocard and harddisk ware defect and replaced.

I restored the backup but now I can't find my photo's!!

When I start Time machine up all the days are black??

Does it means that I lost all of my photo's?

Meanwhile the Time Machine shows the massage that the system is checking the backup.

Reagrds,

Wim

Solved by Linc Davis on May 10, 2014 9:20 AM Solved

As a guess, I'd say you had organized your photos in external folders, having deselected the option in iPhoto's preferences to copy them to the library. I suspect that option is now selected, and the photos are inside the library where you wouldn't see them in the Finder.

• tug! Level 3 Level 3

if you are using an ext. hdd for your backups simply go into finder open the drive from the sidebar and open the 'backupdb' folder. your photo's will be there within the dated folders.

if you are using apples time capsule this folder will be named as "sparsebundle".

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.applications
    Applications

I restored the backup

How did you do that? Have you looked for the iPhoto library in the Pictures folder, where it usually is? If it's there, what happens when you double-click it?

• Wimbre Level 1 Level 1

I found them in IPhoto but the folders in Finder/pictures (ordered in years/time) are still empty.

expertise.applications
    Applications

These are your options:

1. Restore the iPhoto library from the most recent backup that predates the issue.

Advantages: Always works, if library damage is causing the problem and the backup is intact.

Disadvantages: Impossible if you don't have a backup. All changes made since the backup are lost.

2. Repair or rebuild the library. Be sure to back it up first.

Advantages: May solve the problem with no loss of data.

Disadvantages: May fail. May take a long time if the library is large.

3. Scavenge the library with a third-party application called "iPhoto Library Manager," which you can find in a web search. From the application's menu bar (not the iPhoto menu bar), select

Library Rebuild

Advantages: All images should be preserved.

Disadvantages: All books, calendars, and slideshows will be lost.

• Wimbre Level 1 Level 1

Thankx for the options.

Could you please explain to me why it's neccessary to rebuild the iPhoto library?

As mentioned in my previous reply I found all the photo's in iPhoto. Does it solve the empty folders in Finder ?

expertise.applications
    Applications

I'm not sure I really understand your question. Are you saying that you see everything you expect to see in iPhoto, but not in a Spotlight search? If that's the case, then you need to rebuild the Spotlight index.

Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes

Otherwise, please clarify.

• Wimbre Level 1 Level 1

sorry, maybe my english is not entirely correct (i'm Dutch).

In the period that my hard drive was working normally I could see all the photo's (in Finder) I had imported into iPhoto from my camera. These photo's were organized by date (in folders named 2009-10 / 2009-11, etc.).

Now I have a new hard drive and restored the backup. At this moment I can see all the photos in iPhoto, but when I look in Finder the folders (2009-10 / 2009-11, etc.) have been restored but they are empty.

I hope you understand my question now.

expertise.applications
    Applications

As a guess, I'd say you had organized your photos in external folders, having deselected the option in iPhoto's preferences to copy them to the library. I suspect that option is now selected, and the photos are inside the library where you wouldn't see them in the Finder.

• Wimbre Level 1 Level 1

OK, thankx for your help!