Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X MAIL ERROR - "The server response was: Message Size Violation"

This above is an error displaying on Mail client in OS X.

I have tried many times to send on Mac by Mail, zip file (packed directory) with 1.2MB size. Unpacked directory has 1.3MB of size.

As I have observed, I can't send email with attached file larger than 1MB.

This page:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4863

says, that limits are:

The size of incoming and outgoing messages (20 MB)

HOWEVER.

I can send to myself the same file via iCloud web Mail client on web browser. There is even a tip saying "attached 1.2MB, available 18.8MB".

The CONCLUSION:

OS X Mail client has a bug, Web Mail client has not.

Anybody knows what I can do to make Mail client usable?

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on May 10, 2014 3:31 AM

12 replies

Jan 30, 2015 4:19 AM in response to Csound1

Csound: send a Pages document from another email address to your iCloud address and report back whether it gets through. My iCloud will not receive Pages documents of any size along with other compressed/zipped files. They bounce EVERY time even when very small. If I export as a PDF / Word file no problem and my other email accounts receive Pages no problem also. Frankly embarrassing that apple mail can't receive an apple product attachment and very annoying that it hasn't been fixed after a long time!

Jan 30, 2015 4:52 AM in response to angry_user

By means of testing, I have today sent a small Pages document to a number of people with iCloud accounts - each one as a separate email. Every single one bounced back with message size violation. If that's not a bug I don't know what is. Just to remind: Pages documents are automatically zipped. All these accounts receive other attachments no problem - it just applies to zip files.

Jan 30, 2015 8:17 AM in response to manofdogz

manofdogz wrote:

By means of testing, I have today sent a small Pages document to a number of people with iCloud accounts - each one as a separate email. Every single one bounced back with message size violation. If that's not a bug I don't know what is. Just to remind: Pages documents are automatically zipped. All these accounts receive other attachments no problem - it just applies to zip files.

Pages documents I send are not 'automatically' zipped, which version of Pages are you using?

Jan 30, 2015 9:17 AM in response to Csound1

Pages 5.5.2

As I understand it a .5xx pages file (.pages) is actually a folder and is therefore compressed into a zip file when emailing. Certainly, when you email a .pages file (recent version), it arrives as a .Zip even though you don't compress it. I'm pretty sure this was NOT the case with earlier versions.

The key thing here however, is not so much sending a .pages file or any other.zip file - these can be sent by iCloud quite happily. It is about why iCloud won't receive them. If I send a .pages or .zip file from iCloud to my business email, it arrives without any problem. If I send to my iCloud address I get the message size violation - every time.

And just to re-iterate, I have tried sending Zips and Pages files to several other iCloud accounts and they ALL had the same issue.

OS X MAIL ERROR - "The server response was: Message Size Violation"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.