Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ProRes422 glitches in quicktime but smooth in final cut. Glitches on export. HELP!

I have a new Canon 5D Mark 3 and am not very technically advanced so bear with me..

So I noticed that the footage captured in camera was then glitching once opened in quicktime. So as I normally do I converted the files to Apple ProRes422. The file still glitched in quicktime however once dropped into final cut it was smooth. Once edited and exported and opened in Quicktime glitches appear again, however plays smooth on VLC and MPEG Streamclip preview. I compressed for YouTube and vimeo and the glitches are present again, but not when viewing it on my iphone.

I'm not great technically, so it has been extremely stressfull as I fear I may lose the project I've spent so long editing and it may be glitch in the original footage?

If anyone can offer any suggestions I'd be so greatful! Thank you!

Info on each file -

Apple ProRes 422, 1920 x 1080 (1888 x 1062), Millions

16-bit Integer (Little Endian), Stereo (L R), 48.000 kHz, 25fps

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 10, 2014 7:15 AM

5 replies

May 11, 2014 12:18 PM in response to Jamieson259

I think what hyphen was asking was did you store your output clip on your computer's internal hard drive or do you have an external hard drive attached to your computer of additional storage. This is totally different than video from the internet. Where you store your footage can be critical under some circumstances.

And don't stress; if you followed good practice procedures when you set up your project it's unlikely anything will be lost.

You don't mention which Mac you're using and that can make a big difference when you play back high-bandwidth video files. If (for example) you're using the internal disk on a MacBook (which frequently has the slower 5400 RPM disk) then playback might suffer. Playback from a an additional disk in a Mac Pro would be much less likely to to so.

Be aware that while Final Cut Pro 7 doesn't like the Canon 5D Mk3 footage as it is written, QuickTime is fine with it. QT doesn't have to deal with all the editing issues, so it can do a better playback job, so if you're having playback problems with QT, it may not be the clip but something else like the hard drive.

It is always best to have your video source files on a different disk for best playback, so if you're cutting on a laptop or iMac you should have an external drive dedicated to this function and it should be attached via a fast connection (FireWire 800 or faster). If you are using a Mac Pro you can use either an internal or external drive as long as it satisfies the speed requirements.

Please post back your Mac model, OS version, configuration, and anything else that you think might help the diagnosis.

hope this helps

May 13, 2014 2:51 AM in response to Jamieson259

Here's some generic advice: as per RatVega make sure that all your material, captured or transferred clips, render files and exported videos are on an external drive. The faster the better. Some times render files get corrupt. Delete them and after rendering again, export a new video. The same for projects. Start a new projects with the settings you desire and copy paste the edited material from the sequence of the old project to the sequence of the new one. The sequence will probably have to be rendered again. Once done export you video again. Does the problem persist?

Some times effects make cause problems such as yours. Does the stutter occur on parts where you applied special effects?

Apple ProRes422 glitches in quicktime but smooth in final cut. Glitches on export. HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.