Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie not responding

iMovie (10.0.3) stopped working suddenly. It won't open and crashes.

iMovie '11, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on May 10, 2014 7:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2014 8:26 AM

Hey there giaippo,

It sounds like iMovie is quitting unexpectedly when you open it. I would use the troubleshooting from the following article named:

iMovie: How to troubleshoot "Application Unexpectedly Quit" messages

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3143

Start with this troubleshooting, and test to see if the issue is resolved. If not there are additional steps to try within.

1) Verify your software is up to date by running Software Update.

The updates necessary to resolve the issue are those relating to QuickTime, iLife, iMovie and Mac OS X. If any of these updates are available, install the updates. After you install the updates, run Software Update again to verify there are no more updates for that application available.

2) Disable non-essential QuickTime components.

1. Navigate to /Library/QuickTime/ for a list of components currently installed.
  2. Temporarily disable any components that are not in the list below. You can disable the components by moving them to the Desktop or another folder outside of the /Library/QuickTime/ folder.
  3. Open iMovie and see if the issue is resolved. If iMovie no longer unexpectedly quits, check to see if an updated component is available, or contact the developer of the component for further recommendations.

iMovie uses the following components, and should be left in the QuickTime folder:

• AppleIntermediateCodec.component
  • AppleMPEG2Codec.component

Note: There may also be a similar folder at ~/Library/QuickTime/ depending on the components you have installed. If this folder is available on your Mac, remove any components as instructed in step 2. Both of these locations hold QuickTime components. The components help you encode or decode different types of multimedia content.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Sterling

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2014 8:26 AM in response to giaippo

Hey there giaippo,

It sounds like iMovie is quitting unexpectedly when you open it. I would use the troubleshooting from the following article named:

iMovie: How to troubleshoot "Application Unexpectedly Quit" messages

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3143

Start with this troubleshooting, and test to see if the issue is resolved. If not there are additional steps to try within.

1) Verify your software is up to date by running Software Update.

The updates necessary to resolve the issue are those relating to QuickTime, iLife, iMovie and Mac OS X. If any of these updates are available, install the updates. After you install the updates, run Software Update again to verify there are no more updates for that application available.

2) Disable non-essential QuickTime components.

1. Navigate to /Library/QuickTime/ for a list of components currently installed.
  2. Temporarily disable any components that are not in the list below. You can disable the components by moving them to the Desktop or another folder outside of the /Library/QuickTime/ folder.
  3. Open iMovie and see if the issue is resolved. If iMovie no longer unexpectedly quits, check to see if an updated component is available, or contact the developer of the component for further recommendations.

iMovie uses the following components, and should be left in the QuickTime folder:

• AppleIntermediateCodec.component
  • AppleMPEG2Codec.component

Note: There may also be a similar folder at ~/Library/QuickTime/ depending on the components you have installed. If this folder is available on your Mac, remove any components as instructed in step 2. Both of these locations hold QuickTime components. The components help you encode or decode different types of multimedia content.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Sterling

Jun 14, 2014 9:00 PM in response to sterling r

I think it's a bug. I am having the same problem. I updated iMovie to 10.0.3 recently and it was working fine and then suddenly just stopped opening. I shut my computer down to give it a rest, hoping iMovie would start up the next day, but it still has not. The "unexpectedly quit" window doesn't pop up upon opening iMovie. Nothing happens at all, but after a few moments the rainbow wheel appears and I have to force quit. It seems to be jamming and the application says it's not responding when I right click on the app icon. I thinking the only thing that will fix it now is another update probably. Everything on my computer is updated so it's not an update issue or quicktime issue because I tried the advise above, but that did not help unfortunately. Thanks for trying to help though.

Jun 14, 2014 10:53 PM in response to modmouse11

Hi

EASY TEST - is to

• Start a new User Account (Apple menu/down to System Preferences/Accounts - Create a new user (may be "TEST")

• Apple menu and down to - Log out as nnnnnnn

• Now log in as the New User ("TEST")

Try iMovie now - Does it workOK?

Then the faulth is to 99% in Old user account - iMoviepref and Cash files - Trash them and iMovie will start OK next time started. (iMovie must NOT RUN when trashing these files)

Yours Bengt W

Aug 13, 2014 10:49 PM in response to sterling r

Ok, this the second time that iMovie wont open for me, and it seems to be after some sort of update..but maybe I'm wrong. Being that my job revolves around iMovie, this is extremely frustrating. Here's my info on the situation:

(1) I have no updates that are left, so that's out of the way.

(2) Where the heck is "library"?

(3) iMovie works in on my "guest" profile

(4) I've already created a new user and that worked for about a week...now I'm stuck with the same problem and unable to use iMovie.

Help?

Sincerely,

Losing Faith in Mac Computers

Aug 13, 2014 11:09 PM in response to JulesDeArmon

Losing Faith in Mac Computers

Just to mentioning it. This is not APPLE - This is Users trying to reach out a helping hand to other users.

Complaint - I would direct to - www.apple.com/feedback/imovie.html

iMovie works in on my "guest" profile

Then to 99.5% the problem is in Your normal User Account and in the Library here. AND by the Wisdom of APPLE this has been hidden since Mac OS X.7.x (still visibly in Mac OS 10.6.8)

In later versions I go up (in Desktop/Finder view) to the top hand Menu row (Apple to top hand left corner) - here to GO and click alt-key (option-key) and in Mac OS 7 and 8 - a User Library became visibly - (Mac OS 10.9 - Doesn't have it = Can not test)

It is in this Library the problem resides

- Preference folder - com.apple.iMovie ..........plist (ther might be one - there might be more) - drag and drop them onto DeskTop (WHEN iMovie IS NOT RUNNING)

- Cache folder - Here too there are files associated to iMovie - Move them out too

Now re-start iMovie and see if it behaves !

Library at Root-level (First You see when opening Macintosh HS (Boot drive) - Has nothing to do with this at all !

Yours Bengt W

Aug 13, 2014 11:26 PM in response to JulesDeArmon

I really whish there was - But this seems to be one of the most frequently asked questions - may be 40-50% of the problems on this forum.

I do:

- Try to avoid - Panic or Forced HALT - as this introduces small errors on the hard disk building up tp a Major disaster

- If I can not avoid it I do when re-started the Mac

- Repair Permissions - Disk Util tool

- Repair Hard Disk - Same tool - BUT one must start Mac from DVD or ext. Hard Disk as it can not operate on a running OS

- ALSO - I try to keep a sufficiently large - FREE SPACE - on the Main (Boot - Start-Up) Hard Disk - 25Gb or more !

This use to keep Crash on arms lenght away.

Yours Bengt W

Aug 14, 2014 9:58 PM in response to JulesDeArmon

Not really following Your thought.

There always MUST be a preference file. iMovie and near all applications creates one to keep information when Mac is closed down for next time in use.

BUT

Was it problematic ? Did it contain errors again ? - If so

- You must close the application e.g. iMovie FIRST

- Then trash/move the file - iMovie must not run as it then clings to the old corrupted one.

The old one on desktop - put them into the waste basket and empty it.

Yours Bengt W

Oct 8, 2014 9:42 PM in response to giaippo

SAME PROBLEM with clean, new (2 weeks old) macbook pro running OSX 10.9.5 and the preinstalled iMovie application version 10.0.5. After a few launches and one simple movie...iMovie would not open again (spinning beach ball and had to force quit the app every time).

SOLUTION for me was to clear iMovie preferences by holding down Option and Command keys while clicking to open iMovie. This presented a window that asks if I want to reset iMovie preferences. I said yes, and iMovie now opens normally (so far).

I do not know what I did, if anything, that caused iMovie to quit opening initially. I was doing basic, simple things (first time iMovie user). Apple support said that preferences can be set by the program as we simply use the program.

iMovie not responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.