Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.MPG delivery question.

I have been using FCP 7 for some years, shooting and editing in 1920 x 1080 and delivering my edit masters on Pro Res HQ 1920 x 1080 50i which is a .mov file.

Recently I have been asked by a new client to deliver on "MPG" for broadcast on cable. This is the spec they have asked for:

Video: 25fps 1920 x 1080 Upper field first, YUV, 25 Mbps

Audio: 384Kbps, 48,000 Khz, 16 bit stereo MPEG

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.333

I cant seem to locate a means to achieving this either in the export section on FCP 7 or in Compressor. Can anyone suggest how to deliver this file type from my FCP project?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 10, 2014 8:15 AM

8 replies

May 10, 2014 11:28 AM in response to hartleyhare99

Kind of difficult as they don't mention a codec. MPG is like MOV and AVI...just a container. I suspect they mean H.264....but you need to ask.

What I do is Compress to all those settings with Compressor...as an MOV. And then use MPEG STREAMCLIP to open the file, and then do a "SAVE AS" and choose MPEG-4. That makes the MOV into an MPG. No transcoding, just a different container.

May 10, 2014 12:24 PM in response to hartleyhare99

I'd recommend checking with them first, but a lot of broadcasters use MPEG-2 Program Stream files for server based playback. MPEG-2 Program Stream files will typically have a .mpg or .mpeg file extension.

Compressor can create those (as well as MPEG-2 Transport Streams). In the Apple presets, look in the Formats folder for MPEG-2 and then duplicate the preset. Open the duplicate in the Inspector window and change the settings to your client's requirements.

-DH

.MPG delivery question.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.