Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal iMac superdrive keeps ejecting discs

The Superdrive on my iMac will not accept any discs. It just immediately ejects discs that I insert. This happened before about a year ago, but I forgot how I got it to work, and I can't find the thread here.
Thus this request: What do I need to do to get the Superdrive on my iMac to work again? I already cleaned it out completely with the air duster. I know that there is some keyboard startup trick or something that needs to be done to reset something, but my brain is aging, and I forgot what it is. Obviously any helpful suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), mid-2007 24" 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM

Posted on May 10, 2014 8:19 AM

5 replies

May 25, 2015 2:47 PM in response to Klaus1

My internal drive was not allowing insertion (rejecting after inserting about half way). I read on another site to reset the SMC 3 times (Shut down, unplug for 15 seconds, plug back in, wait another 5 seconds then push the power button), then reset PRAM (Hold down P-R-Option-Command while restarting and wait for the gong 3 times then release the keys). Don't know if the three restarts were really required but it all worked and I'm very grateful.

I'd read a few similar descriptions of my problem that ended with, "I had to replace my drive," or similar words.

Internal iMac superdrive keeps ejecting discs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.