Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to sync my new iPod classic and "Sync" is grayed out

I have tried everything. Updated iTunes, verified my User id and password, nothing is recognizing the "new" used iPod. When I plug it in to the PC, iTunes is not automatically turning on. When I open iTunes, I go to Devcies, but "Sync" is grayed out. Also, the iPod has started to "Connect" to PC and then automatically starts the "OK to Disconnect" without me doing anything at all. I am floored at this point and don't know what else to try. My old iPod was the original Classic from like 2005ish and it's hard drive just went wonky. I never had an issue with it and iTunes at all.

iPod classic, Windows XP, Old iPod broke so this is a replace

Posted on May 10, 2014 2:15 PM

1 reply

May 12, 2014 12:25 PM in response to Aerogenous

Hello Aerogenous,

I know having a device you can't use can be frustrating. I have located an article that will walk you through a series of troubleshooting steps:

Restoring iPod to factory settings

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1339

Warning: Because restoring erases all the songs and files on iPod, back up any files you've saved on the iPod disk. All of your songs, videos, podcasts, audiobooks, and games can be loaded back to your iPod provided that you have them stored in your iTunes Library. If you use the Nike + iPod Sport Kit, see this document for more information.

After you perform the restore, you should attempt to sync your content again. Keep in mind that iPods are meant to sync with one computer and one iTunes library.

Thank you for contributing to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

BobbyD

I am trying to sync my new iPod classic and "Sync" is grayed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.