Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No internet via ethernet to iMac

I am wanting to connect my iMac and Apple TV to the Airport Extreme via ethernet, to make streaming movies etc a lot better, as I've been haivng many issues with the Apple TV over WiFi, especially when it comes to AirPlay Mirroring, which over WiFi alone, is slooooooowww and laggy.

I was testing this using the current set up:

~~~ = WiFi

------ = Ethernet

Modem ------- Airport

iMac ------- Airport

Apple TV ------- Airport

iPod Touch ~~~ Airport

MacBook Pro ~~~ Airport

Using this, the content streaming was great and the Airplay Mirroring worked flawlessly with my iPod. I could get internet on my iPod and on the MacBook Pro, I could control my iMac's iTunes library and the Apple TV with Remote on my iPod, there was only thing that just did not work.

I could not access the internet on my iMac.

Neither Chrome or Safari worked. The ethernet is deffinately connected but I can't get internet, and I've not a clue why.

Is there a setting I need to change for this to work? I don't have any idea what any of the long numbers in my Ethernet settings mean, so I don't want to change anything without someone who actually knows telling me what to do.

Many thanks.

Posted on May 10, 2014 5:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2014 6:34 PM

From the iMac's Wi-Fi menu, select Open Network Preferences...

If it does not resemble this, describe what's different.

User uploaded file

13 replies

May 11, 2014 4:19 AM in response to Gandalf232

Is there a reason you are using a static IP address?

If not, or you don't know what that means, change your settings to resemble the screenshot I posted: Configure IPv4 "Using DHCP". Then, click the Apply button. The other fields will be supplied by your AirPort Extreme, though the numbers will probably be different.

If it still does not connect, cycle the power on your Extreme. Unplug it from the wall, wait a moment, then plug it back in.

If you decide those changes made things worse, return to the previous settings.

May 12, 2014 3:15 AM in response to Gandalf232

The speed is likely being limited by your ISP as you suspect, but 15 Mbps should be sufficient for the highest resolution video available at present. Just keep in mind that 15 Mbps is shared among all your devices, so if you're streaming movies on your AppleTV you'll want to make sure nothing else is doing anything particularly demanding.

To test the AppleTV's connection speed. Apple recommends using "an online bandwidth test on a computer on the same network as your Apple TV."

May 12, 2014 9:50 PM in response to John Galt

When I say iTunes streaming, I mean via Hone Sharing. The only online streaming I do would be YouTube and Trailers. Trailers sometimes are a little slow.

I tested it myself anyway, steaming a Full HD 45 minutes episode of The Blacklist from my iMac.

First I tested it fully over WiFi, and it took about 12 minutes to load the entire episode.

Then when I just had the iMac to Airport connected via Ethernet, it took roughly 8.

And fully over Ethernet was only 4.

Quite a big difference.

Can I assume that running a long Ethernet cable under the floor to my lounge, will not be significantly slower than just across the 2 meter cable I used to test it?

Thanks, by the way, for your awesome help. I much appreciate it.

May 13, 2014 3:40 AM in response to Gandalf232

All else being equal, the length of the Ethernet cable should not affect transmission speed. The maximum permissible length is 100m.

I am concerned about the speed differences you describe when comparing one Ethernet link to another. They should be identical, on average. If there is a difference in performance between two cables, one of them is likely to be damaged, not completely intact, or not properly rated. Cables are inexpensive enough to substitute one for another, to determine if the difference can be explained by a defective cable.

On the other hand wireless transmission speeds can vary tremendously, depending on a variety of often unpredictable factors, which is the reason to always use a wired network connection whenever practicable, especially for an AppleTV. A wired connection's transmission speed should be consistent. Measuring the length of time to load a large file as you describe is as good a method as any.

It is also possible that a parameter in the AirPort Extreme may have become corrupted, in which case a "hard reset" followed by reconfiguring the Extreme is justified. Sometimes that is the only way to resolve otherwise inexplicable performance problems.

In any event your ISP's 15 Mbps speed should be more than adequate, and movie trailers ought not to load objectionably slowly. Confirm that you are actually realizing that speed by substituting your MacBook Pro at each connection point - the iMac's connection as well as the AppleTV's connection separately - and running the bandwidth test at each point. You should see identical results. Significant differences that cannot be explained by transient Internet conditions beyond your home's network (in other words, beyond your control) require investigation.

May 13, 2014 3:53 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks very much for your input. I'm afraid I don't quite understand, however, where you think the problem is.

The speed test resulted in 15Mbps both on the iMac, and on my iPod.

The difference in loading time is not comparing different cables, but comparing WiFi to Ethernet. Do you think these should both have to same speed?

If someone else was using the computer while I tested it, is that likely to be slowing it down? Or is that irrelevant as it's not streaming from online.

Thanks again for your concern.

May 13, 2014 4:51 AM in response to Gandalf232

The difference in loading time is not comparing different cables, but comparing WiFi to Ethernet. Do you think these should both have to same speed?

No, not at all. I would expect the same results only under ideal wireless conditions, which are rarely found anyplace other than in sparsely populated areas. Wi-Fi speed will never exceed whatever wired throughput you can achieve, is generally much slower, and can be very inconsistent.

If someone else was using the computer while I tested it, is that likely to be slowing it down?

If other users on your network - including the computer you're using - are performing any network-related activity at all, they will have an affect on network throughput, wired or wireless. The degree to which it will slow overall network throughput is a function of just what network activity is taking place.

May 13, 2014 2:19 PM in response to Gandalf232

This is what concerned me:

Then when I just had the iMac to Airport connected via Ethernet, it took roughly 8.

And fully over Ethernet was only 4.

Quite a big difference.

You clarified that in your subsequent reply:

The difference in loading time is not comparing different cables, but comparing WiFi to Ethernet.

If you are not experiencing any significant differences from one Ethernet connection to another, then there is no concern.

No internet via ethernet to iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.