Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get my restrictions pass code without doing a factory restore?

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 10, 2014 5:34 PM

27 replies

Mar 14, 2017 2:04 PM in response to Parkashj139

YYou can't. I spent 2 hours on the phone with support. Back everything to iCloud ND ITunes. Then restore to factory defaults. Of note, I had to bring my IPad INTO the Apple Store--- the did a restore to factory settings - AND MY RESTRICTIONS WERE STILL ON!!!! So insure you ARE VERY SPECIFIC, or you may end up like me---- I have to do it again! Good luck, it doesn't take long.

May 10, 2014 5:36 PM in response to Dallas239

You cannot:

Locked Out, Forgot Lock or Restrictions Passcode, or Need to Restore Your Device: Several Alternative Solutions

A

1. iOS- Forgotten passcode or device disabled after entering wrong passcode

2. iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Wrong passcode results in red disabled screen

3. Restoring iPod touch after forgotten passcode

4. What to Do If You've Forgotten Your iPhone's Passcode

5. iOS- Understanding passcodes

6. iTunes 10 for Mac- Update and restore software on iPod, iPhone, or iPad

7. iOS - Unable to update or restore

Forgotten Restrictions Passcode Help

iPad,iPod,iPod Touch Recovery Mode

You will need to restore your device as New to remove a Restrictions passcode. Go through the normal process to restore your device, but when you see the options to restore as New or from a backup, be sure to choose New.

You can restore from a backup if you have one from BEFORE you set the restrictions passcode.

Also, see iTunes- Restoring iOS software.

May 10, 2014 5:37 PM in response to Dallas239

Dallas239 wrote:

You cannot.

To remove a forgotten Restrictions passcode you will need to either...

1) Restore the Device as New... See Section 6 here...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4137

OR...

2) From a Backup created Before the Restrictions Code was set....

Restore from Backup > http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1766

Aug 28, 2015 11:52 PM in response to AnaMusic

Check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyENHRniaE8

The first time I edited the file and tried restoring with BackupBot, but the iPad behaved strangely afterward (e.g. apps were quitting and when I disabled restrictions, it didn't seem to accept the change).

I decided to try again, but after editing the file with iBackupBot (on my Mac), I used iTunes to do the restore and this time it worked!

Jan 12, 2016 7:05 PM in response to Bradford Schwie

Bradford Schwie - I edited the file with iBackupBot and tried to restore from there but it didn't work - how do I edit the file with iBackupBot and then restore from iTunes using a PC? Would the backup file in iTunes still be an original backup file with the restriction passcode on it? I would greatly appreciate any help on this - I really do not want to restore the iphone to factory settings, unfortunately my kid didn't do an icloud backup or anything.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.