Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my replacement iPhone 5 refurbished?

I had my iPhone 5 since it came out. I took really could care of it, but recently I had an issue with it and the Apple Genius told me they would replace the device as I had applecare. I asked the genuis whether the replacement would be a refurb to which he replied no and assured me that Apple doesn't replace iPhone's refurbed. However after coming home and searching online, I found out that Apple MAY replace your device with a refurb. I did a serial number decoding on the Chipmunk site or whatever and the iPhone I currently have was made in February 2014. Can this mean that it was remanufactured on February 2014? Thoughts? I am extremely upset that I may have been lied too, and honestly I would not have gone through the replacement if I knew the phone could be a refurb.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 10, 2014 9:19 PM

13 replies

May 11, 2014 8:33 AM in response to macdmy

macdmy wrote:

Well, I paid $700 for the phone and I dont expect it to be a broken phone. I do not now where its been or who had it.

Neither does Apple that is why they get refurbished.

And why do you say refurbished phones are better than new?

It hs already been thru an inspection (when it was first built).

Then parts are replaced and it is completely reinspected. There are people who will not buy anything brand new and only buy refurbished.

-> Apple Certified Refurbished Products

(1) What are Apple Certified Refurbished Products?

Apple Certified Refurbished Products are pre-owned Apple products that undergo Apple's stringent refurbishment process prior to being offered for sale. While only some units are returned due to technical issues, all units undergo Apple's stringent quality refurbishment process.

Each Apple Certified Refurbished Product:

• is fully tested (including full burn-in testing).
  • is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing.
  • is put through a thorough cleaning process and inspection.
  • is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.).
  • includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system. See each products "Learn More" for more details.
  • is given a new refurbished part number and serial number.
  • is placed into a Final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock.

May 11, 2014 8:41 AM in response to Chris CA

Except I'm not really impressed. This "replacement" iPhone is not good at all. Sometimes when I try to open an app, the phone will freeze for a split second and then the apple logo will come up for another few seconds. It does not reload or anything, but this is extremely annoying. This is exactly why I asked the genius if my iPhone would be new or refurbished.

Nov 27, 2015 10:23 AM in response to Chris CA

So, according to apple's FAQ about refurbished items, if you get an iPhone that looks brand new then it's new? They never say they replace external parts unless are damaged, I just got a replacement with model number starting with N but the phone looks immaculate also took a look through the SIM card tray and looks new. Is this the way to know whether or not an iPhone is refurb?

Jan 4, 2016 4:16 PM in response to macdmy

I just went to the Genius Bar because my microphone was bad on my iPhone 6 plus, and I only had a month left on the warranty. They have a cool diagnostic app on their iPad which revealed all 3 microphones were bad. The Genius explained that if it had been just one microphone bad, they would have repaired it on the spot within an hour, but that with 3 bad I would get a new phone. He said my broken phone would go to Cupertino where they would either repair it and put it into their inventory of refurbished phones which are sold on eBay and around the world, or if repairing it would not be profitable, it would be melted. As far as I know Apple does not operate an iPhone junkyard where good used parts are scavenged off of broken phones and sold on, or recombined into a working phone. The phone I received at the Genius bar was stated to be a new phone. However, its logic board was loose and the next day they gave me yet another new phone, which appears new and is stated to be new. Came in the aforementioned slim white box. The phone was packaged with a plastic peel off jacket.

Jan 4, 2016 10:12 PM in response to imodztech

The first Letter in the Model number will tell you what you want to know.

• "
    F
    ": refurbished unit
  • "
    M
    ": retail unit
  • "
    N
    ": replacement unit
  • "
    P
    ": personalized (engraved) unit

Very cool to know this and thank you! The unit I got at the Genius Bar today, which they stated was new, and came in a thin white box, has the letter " N " before the model number, indicating it is a replacement unit, not a refurb. T Mobile, by the way, states that replacement units from the Genius Bar are indeed new, as opposed to the replacement units they themselves hand out, which are refurbs. Finally, logic would dictate that the primary difference between an " N " unit and an " F " unit, would be that one is new and one is not.

Jan 27, 2016 10:04 AM in response to Craig Kerr

Have similar question. I had problems with my iphone 6 last week. Lost signal at night never came back. I went to Stormfront (apple retailer). They tried to fix it and they could not, so they said I will recieve new phone from apple. I collected it today and it was in clear peel off bag. I was quite supprised as I thought they just give you new phone in the box as I have seen people selling boxed phones claiming they were replaced and have 1 year warranty,

So I have asked about the warranty and I was informed in or 90 days or what was left from my previous one.

Is that correct?

Is my replacement iPhone 5 refurbished?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.