Related Article: Apple security releases

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's the software update password

What the software update password?

iPad, iOS 7.1.1, What the software update password

Posted on May 11, 2014 4:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2014 1:16 AM

If you aren't using a passcode to unlock the phone, and you no longer have a Restrictions passcode, then it shouldn't ask you for one to update iOS - Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If your device is passcode enabled, it will ask you to enter the passcode before installing the update.

Try closing Settings via the phone's taskbar : double-click the home button to open the taskbar, and if on iOS 7 swipe/drag the Settings app up and off the top of the screen to close it ; if on iOS 6 or below then press and hold an app on the taskbar for a second or two until they shake and then tap the 'x' on Settings to close it ; press the home button to close the taskbar.

And then do a soft-reset : press and hold both the sleep and home buttons for about 10 to 15 seconds (ignore the red slider), after which the Apple logo should appear - you won't lose any content, it's the equivalent of a reboot.

The see if you are still asked for a code to update when the phone has restarted.

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2014 1:16 AM in response to gsmartinezusa

If you aren't using a passcode to unlock the phone, and you no longer have a Restrictions passcode, then it shouldn't ask you for one to update iOS - Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If your device is passcode enabled, it will ask you to enter the passcode before installing the update.

Try closing Settings via the phone's taskbar : double-click the home button to open the taskbar, and if on iOS 7 swipe/drag the Settings app up and off the top of the screen to close it ; if on iOS 6 or below then press and hold an app on the taskbar for a second or two until they shake and then tap the 'x' on Settings to close it ; press the home button to close the taskbar.

And then do a soft-reset : press and hold both the sleep and home buttons for about 10 to 15 seconds (ignore the red slider), after which the Apple logo should appear - you won't lose any content, it's the equivalent of a reboot.

The see if you are still asked for a code to update when the phone has restarted.

May 13, 2014 11:54 AM in response to manojdesilva

Hi manojdesilva,

Welcome to the Support Communities!

The passwrod that is being asked for on your iPad is your Apple ID password for the iTunes Store. If you forgot your password, you can reset it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5622

Cheers,

- Judy

Sep 2, 2014 12:30 AM in response to gsmartinezusa

When I updated the iOS version on my iPad it wanted the passcode that I use for Restrictions. If you no longer have Restrictions in place and it's still asking for a password then have you tried the passcode that you use to unlock the device ? Or try putting a new Restrictions code in place and see if that works.

What does the screen that you are seeing look like e.g. is it just the numeric keypad, or is alphanumeric (and do you use a alphanumeric code to unlock the phone, or just a numeric code) ?

Sep 2, 2014 12:47 AM in response to gsmartinezusa

If the passcode screen that you are seeing on the Software Update screen is alphanumeric, then is the passcode that you use to unlock the device also alphanumeric ? And that code doesn't work ?

And if you re-enable Restrictions, which I think can only be a 4 digit numeric code, do you still get the alphanumeric keyboard showing for Software Update ?

And it's your own iPad i.e. it's not supplied by work - if it is then they might have set a password.

Feb 22, 2015 12:36 PM in response to yingjiaroxy

The passcode is not the Apple ID password. I have an iPad Air 2. It has the fingerprint reader, so I set it up with the fingerprint lock, which requires you to create a "passcode". When I tried to do a software update in the App store, I was prompted to enter my passcode. Like so many others, I entered my Apple ID password, which didn't work. Always using the fingerprint reader to open my iPad, I had completely forgotten about the passCODE. It's the lock code you set up with your iPad or iPhone and is specific for that device, not an Apple ID or iTunes password. Fortunately, I knew the passcode (I believe it has to be 4 characters, alpha, numeric, or alphanumeric), and that did the trick. Hope this helps.

Jun 11, 2015 6:12 AM in response to judysings

NO. It's not your Apple ID passcode, it's the multi-digit passocde (not necessarily 4-digits) to your iOS device when you log in after a hard restart, regardless of whether your device reads fingerprints.

Why doesn't Apple say this ("iOS device passcode") explicitly when it asks for a passcode. Does anyone actually test new software interfaces at Apple? I used to develop commercial software for DEC and this problem would never happen if Apple bothered to test it on uninitiated users, i.e."non-computer industry person"! Get your act together Apple!!!

What's the software update password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.