Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to add amps and pedals to garageband

hello,

is it possible to add amps and pedals?(guitar) i really hope there is some free stuff like ampity.

Luke

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on May 11, 2014 8:09 AM

3 replies

May 19, 2015 3:22 PM in response to ferkijel

You have to differentiate between two things:

AU Plugins (External)

GarageBand supports AU Plugins. That means, any third-party plugin that you install on your computer will be available in GarageBand.

GarageBand/Logic Plugins (Internal)

All the Plugins that are provided by GarageBand/Logic are "closed". That means, some might let you add samples/patches to them, but you won't be able to extend the functionality of those plugins. To add amps and stompboxes is not the same as adding samples. These are algorithms in the heart of the plugin and there is no extension possible from the "outside". So I wouldn't get my hopes up that Apple will open up the extensibility in the future.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

May 20, 2015 4:00 AM in response to EdgarRothermich

Thank you for the reply, Edgar. That much I feared. I do have plenty of Audio Units, but I expected Apple might want to exploit the business opportunity to sell additional "closed" plugins, in the form of the more graphic-enhanced stompboxes, which I would gladly pay for, as long as they were available both for Macs and iPad/iPhones. Many of us amateur and semi-professional musicians use Garageband (desktop version) at home, and in small gigs in the iOS version. They are extremely versatile. Unfortunately I don't think AU work in the iOS version of GarageBand. To be honest, I haven't checked yet, but will do so tonight when I get home. Right now I'm looking for a better version of the Octaver effect pre-packed in Garageband (which doesn't track very well in the low register).

how to add amps and pedals to garageband

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.