Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad will only charge when plugged into Macbook

I have a 3rd generation iPad that just recently stopped charging when plugged into a wall charger. I've tried numerous cables & adapters, and the ONLY thing that works, oddly enough, is when I plug it into the USB port on my Macbook Retina. I thought it was some type of software glitch, so I've even tried wiping it clean, and it still doesn't work. Is something broken with the 30-pin port?

I tried asking a "Genius" at the Apple store, and even went to one of those 3rd party iDevice repair places, and they'd never seen this issue. Nobody seems to have a clue what to do.

Posted on May 11, 2014 12:54 PM

6 replies

May 19, 2014 9:57 AM in response to klgood1

klgood1 wrote:

I've tried a half dozen different iPad adapters & cables, plugged directly into a wall outlet, all of which worked prior to this issue cropping up. It will now only charge via my Macbook's USB port. It's not an issue with the chargers or electrical supply, but something with the iPad itself.

Another user suggests here:

You should disconnect the power adapter, both from the computer and the wall. Wait 15 seconds. Using the 3-prong AC cable, plug the power adapter into a properly-grounded AC outlet. Plug the Magsafe connector into the computer.

Post with your results.

Jul 6, 2014 8:09 AM in response to klgood1

I'm having the same issue with my iPad 2. I have tried multiple charges, cables, etc. The only way it will charge is by plugging it into my mac. I've called Apple and the man I spoke to has never heard of the issue before. They even sent me a new charger and cable to try. It doesn't even display the "not charging" message as it will with low power sources. It is like the iPad doesn't even recognize that it is plugged in. Not a big deal when I'm home and can charge it but makes it hard to charge on the go! I have restarted and made sure my software it up to date and nothing makes a difference.

iPad will only charge when plugged into Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.