Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi greyed, cell service showing "e", and phone getting really hot

So I restarted my phone and now the wifi is greyed out, when I turn 4g on it shows "e" , and my phone keeps getting really hot. I've tried restoring it, resetting the network settings, and pretty much everything else. What can I do other than take it to an apple store? My warranty is long gone and I can't buy a new phone.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on May 11, 2014 2:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2014 3:08 PM

Well the "e" is edge which is like 2g connection.

If you have actually restored this device and setup as a new device and your getting heat. You most likely have hardware failure. The greyed out wifi more than likely means a defect/failure of the antenna and that may have damage or affect the cellular connectivity.

It looks like an OOW or out of warranty replacement.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2014 3:08 PM in response to jacobfreakingharris

Well the "e" is edge which is like 2g connection.

If you have actually restored this device and setup as a new device and your getting heat. You most likely have hardware failure. The greyed out wifi more than likely means a defect/failure of the antenna and that may have damage or affect the cellular connectivity.

It looks like an OOW or out of warranty replacement.

May 11, 2014 4:08 PM in response to jacobfreakingharris

My Wifi keeps greying out, it's an hardware problem and Apple aren't interested in putting this right, there are millions of other people out there that have had the same problem. I've got myself a new Samsung S3 mini for £129 and it's brill, won't be buying another ***** Iphone again!!!!!!

Also it's a problem with the chip drying out, if you warm it up with an hairdryer near the speaker then turn it off and shove it the freezer it comes back.

Why are Apple exploiting all these poor chinese people to make these phones and then making millions selling them to unsuspecting buyers like us!!!!!!!!

Wifi greyed, cell service showing "e", and phone getting really hot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.