Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iDVD. Poor quality video in drop zones

Video's added to drop zones in iDVD menu themes look terrible, before and after burning the iDVD projects to DVD.

Every video looses quality. They "blink/jump". For example the eyebrows or cheeks of people jump up and down and are very noticeable. It's as if the footage has been scaled up from a smaller image.

Does anyone know how to handle this? Is there a workaround?

This issue has been adressed before, and it seems there's no solution:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/393212?answerId=1902931022#1902931022

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4912626?answerId=21604603022#21604603022

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2197187

I'm using iDVD 7.1.2 - and iDVD 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 themes.

User uploaded file

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 12, 2014 2:04 AM

13 replies

Jul 15, 2014 10:42 AM in response to eric van de beek

Hi

No direct answer as I usually do not use "Drop Zones" - still might be interesting to discuss.

- Video material dropped into this "Button Viewer" - Was in what Video-Codec ?

- How many minutes was this clip ?

I would use

# Video-Codec = AIC or StreamingDV

# just a few minutes - as this can not play the full movie anyway.

- Free Space on Start-Up (Boot) Hard Disk (Macintosh HD) ? How much ?

I never let this go less than 25Gb when SD-Video Quality material is used and about 4 - 5 times more if HD-material is used.

Yours thinking out aloud. Bengt W

Jul 15, 2014 12:00 PM in response to eric van de beek

Just tested the drop zone in the same theme that you posted with a video created with PhotoPresenter and it was very sharp.

Try this basic troubleshooting fix:

1 - delete the IDVD preference file, com.apple.iDVD.plist, that resides in your

User/Home/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete the contents of IDVD'S cache folder: User/Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.iDVD.

User uploaded file

3 - launch IDVD and try again with a new project with the same theme.

NOTE: In Lion and Mountain Lion the Home/Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and press the Return key - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

If you're running Mavericks, 10.9, go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Options menu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jul 26, 2014 7:47 AM in response to Len Goff

Sorry for the late reply. I just got back from vacation.

I tried out Old Toat's troubleshooting mix, but unfortunately it didn't help.

Old Toat, did you just guess it would help? Or did you experience this yourself?

The video's I usually add to the drop zones, are nothing special. They are DVs, all shot with the same Panasonic camera. When played in iMovie or QuickTime on my iMac they look perfect.

I must say, some video's added to the drop zones suffer more from the effect described above (blinking, jumping) than others. But if you have for instance a video of some person wearing a striped shirt, just try this out on any iDVD drop zone. I'm sure you and I will see the same blinking/jumping artefact.
For some reason the artefact also becomes very noticeable on window frames in the background of the picture.

Video's in the iDVD drop zones look like they have been compressed to a lower resolution file (thumbnail quality) and then scaled up to match the tv screen. Is there anyone who can confirm this?

Aug 3, 2014 12:07 AM in response to Old Toad

HI

Me just thinking out aloud.

What would happen if the video-clips used for these button-movies was de-interlaced (made as progressive instead of interlaced) ?

Will the problem be less noticable ?

To me it sounds as an interlace problem. So just adding a still photo should result in a clearer picture.

IF NOT - then the problem is of a much deeper art.

Yours Bengt W

Aug 3, 2014 8:22 AM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Just created a test project with that same theme and added a 5 minute movie to the drop zone and set the loop for the full 5 minutes. The encoding was set for Best Performance to elicit pre encoding of any video files. Added the same movie to the menu and only it began pre encoding. Saved as a disk image and played with DVD Player to compare the drop zone to the movie itself in the video DVD.

The drop zone movie wasn't as sharp as the version added as a movie to the menu. But then, I suppose it isn't supposed to be as it's only a menu enhancement and not primary element of the video DVD.

In the screenshot the video used for the drop zone is highlighted. Below in the next pane is the encoded video added directly to the menu.

User uploaded file

I guess it's just the nature of the beast.

Aug 3, 2014 3:23 PM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Bengt,

iDVD CAN handle interlaced videos outside the dropzones, but possibly it CAN'T inside the dropzones. Since the footage I'm working with is SD only, and I don't have HD footage at hand, for now I'm not able to test the dropzones on any progressive files.

I haven't much experience with adding photo's to dropzones, but from what I've seen in iDVD, you don't get the full resolution of a photo, unless you put it outside any dropzones.

Aug 3, 2014 3:34 PM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad,

Could you please tell us what kind of video you tested? Was it interlaced? Or progressive?

I'm afraid you're right about "the nature of the beast", iDVD encoding videos added to dropzones differently from videos added outside dropzones.

In some cases most people won't notice any difference, but in others many will notice artifacts in the dropzones, like the ones I described.

iDVD. Poor quality video in drop zones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.