Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I disable my dvd drive?

DVD is physically stuck and I want to diable the dvd writer

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), DVD is physically stuc

Posted on May 12, 2014 3:40 AM

17 replies

May 12, 2014 9:09 AM in response to stuck dvd

To force an ejection: reboot OS X, and press the Eject or the F12 button after the startup chime, or press and hold the mouse or trackpad button after the chime.

This is the "emergency" eject sequence, and doesn't disable the DVD drive. That's more typically done via disassembly and physical removal of the (presumably failed) optical device.

May 12, 2014 10:17 AM in response to MrHoffman

Hi, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the disc is physicall stuck and held in place. I have tried several methods including trying to pull the disc out with tweezers, but it will not budge. I have now bought an external CD writer but the stuck disc keeps on trying to eject and slows start up. I would therefore like to disable the drive using unix? if possible? and not use it at all rather than dismantle my imac and physically remove the drive.

May 12, 2014 10:32 AM in response to stuck dvd

The sequence cited usually works, though if the drive mechanism is sufficiently damaged...

The console firmware will attempt to access the device; there's more than OS X involved here — I've not encountered any discussions of disabling EFI access to the device, other than potentially via locking down the bootstrap and preventing alternate access; a firmware password.

Physical disassembly is the usual path forward here, either by Apple or another service provider, or by somebody else when the iMac is sufficiently far out of warranty.

May 12, 2014 10:41 AM in response to MrHoffman

I have a repair man quote a lot of money to disable the drive without removal. He quoted even more to remove and replace with a new drive. I thought there might be some unix commands but I can't find them. It looks like I'll have to put up with it as the cost does not warrant a physical disconnection. I'll have to start saving soon for a new machine, mine is a 2007 imac and deemd 'vintage' by apple, que serra

May 14, 2014 6:03 AM in response to stuck dvd

Have you tried going to System Preferences CD&DVD and setting all the actions to Ignore?

There are reported ways to disable the DVD drive by removing the kext file(s) that deal with the DVD. I cannot vouch for any of these as I have not tried them myself

How to Disable the Superdrive on a MacBook Pro | eHow is the easiest, moves one file.

I the above simple solution doesn;t work there is this

How to disable an optical drive - Mac OS X Hints

there re other. Proceed carefully and make a backup of the system before doing these.

regards

May 14, 2014 6:59 AM in response to stuck dvd

I don't know what you consider a 'lot' of money, but opening and extracting an optical drive from an iMac is not a difficult or time-consuming job. it takes a couple of specialized tools that you can pick up on eBay for maybe $20, along with a new PATA superdrive for maybe $40-50, but the job itself is more anxiety-inducing than hard. If you have a niece or nephew with the geek bug, give them the parts and set them loose on it. They'll do it out of sheer curiosity.

There is always the low-tech solution, too: white duct tape over the drive opening. unless the aesthetics of your 8 year old iMac are mission critical... 😉

How can I disable my dvd drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.