Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my iPhone 5 send picture messages anymore?

My iPhone 5 recently stopped sending pictures over iMessage.

I have already:

• Tried the classic turning my phone on and off
  • Resetting my network settings
  • Taking my SIM card out and putting it back in again
  • Sending them just on 3G
  • Sending them just on Wifi

But nothing has worked!

I have MMS messaging turned off because it costs me to send picture messages through my service provider. I have had it turned off for months now and pictures continued to send via iMessage, so I know that that isn't the problem. This problem has been ongoing for about a week now, and I didn't change any of my settings beforehand.

My next solution is to do a factory reset, but I could really do without having to go to that length.

Any ideas? 🙂

Thanks!

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 12, 2014 9:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2014 9:38 AM

To resolve issues with sending and receiving iMessages, follow these steps

1. Check iMessage system status for current service issues.
  2. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and make sure that you registered iMessage with your phone number or Apple ID and that you selected iMessage for use. If the phone number or Apple ID isn't available for use, troubleshoot iMessage registration.
  3. Open Safari and navigate to www.apple.com to verify data connectivity. If a data connection isn't available, troubleshoot cellular data or a Wi-Fi connection.
  4. iMessage over cellular data might not be available while you're on a call. Only 3G and faster GSM networks support simultaneous data and voice calls. Learn which network your phone supports. If your network doesn't support simultaneous data and voice calls, go to Settings > Wi-Fi and turn Wi-Fi on to use iMessage while you're on a call.
  5. Restart your device.
  6. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings on your iPhone.

If you still can't send or receive an iMessage, follow these steps

1. Make sure that the contact trying to message you isn't blocked in Settings > Messages > Blocked.
  2. Make sure that the contact you're trying to send a message to is registered with iMessage.
  3. If the issue occurs with a specific contact or contacts, back up or forward important messages and delete your current messaging threads with the contact. Create a new message to the contact and try again.
  4. If the issue occurs with a specific contact or contacts, delete and recreate the contact in the Contacts app. Create a new message to the newly created contact and try again.
  5. Back up and restore your device as new.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2755

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2014 9:38 AM in response to pinkcow

To resolve issues with sending and receiving iMessages, follow these steps

1. Check iMessage system status for current service issues.
  2. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and make sure that you registered iMessage with your phone number or Apple ID and that you selected iMessage for use. If the phone number or Apple ID isn't available for use, troubleshoot iMessage registration.
  3. Open Safari and navigate to www.apple.com to verify data connectivity. If a data connection isn't available, troubleshoot cellular data or a Wi-Fi connection.
  4. iMessage over cellular data might not be available while you're on a call. Only 3G and faster GSM networks support simultaneous data and voice calls. Learn which network your phone supports. If your network doesn't support simultaneous data and voice calls, go to Settings > Wi-Fi and turn Wi-Fi on to use iMessage while you're on a call.
  5. Restart your device.
  6. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings on your iPhone.

If you still can't send or receive an iMessage, follow these steps

1. Make sure that the contact trying to message you isn't blocked in Settings > Messages > Blocked.
  2. Make sure that the contact you're trying to send a message to is registered with iMessage.
  3. If the issue occurs with a specific contact or contacts, back up or forward important messages and delete your current messaging threads with the contact. Create a new message to the contact and try again.
  4. If the issue occurs with a specific contact or contacts, delete and recreate the contact in the Contacts app. Create a new message to the newly created contact and try again.
  5. Back up and restore your device as new.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2755

Oct 13, 2015 4:36 AM in response to pinkcow

None of this worked for me, but then I thought of something - I'd just downloaded a picture off a website. Thats what I had originally wanted to send someone. I deleted that file and boom - I can send pictures again. It must have been a corrupted file and had impacted the ability to send ANY pics, not just the corrupted one. Delete all of your pics if you don't know which one could be the problem. Email sensitive ones you're holding onto first if you need to.

Why won't my iPhone 5 send picture messages anymore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.