Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This is just to report a problem with Apple updates. I updated recently and the computer brought up my 2012 desktop with all my 2014 files and data including stickies missing! Now I hesitate to do another Apple update. What would you do?

Apple Updates: This is just to report a problem. I updated recently and on restart the computer restored up my 2012 desktop with all my 2014 files and data including stickies missing!!! Now I hesitate to do another Apple update. What would you do?

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on May 12, 2014 8:57 AM

2 replies

May 12, 2014 2:50 PM in response to Cocotrainer

If all your files are missing

You may have logged in as a different user, such as Guest. Open the Users & Groups pane in System Preferences. Your name should be at the top of the user list, under Current User. See also this support article.

If files are missing from one folder

Change the Finder view mode; for example, from icon view to list view, or vice versa.

If files are present, but seem outdated

You may have started up from a different volume (disk.) Open the Startup Disk preference pane and check the selection.

This is just to report a problem with Apple updates. I updated recently and the computer brought up my 2012 desktop with all my 2014 files and data including stickies missing! Now I hesitate to do another Apple update. What would you do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.