Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to download music in 320kbps, how can I do it with iTunes?

I need to download music in 320kbps in high quality for play a dj-set in clubs. I saw that iTunes gives max 256kbps....how can I see what's the kpbs for every song before download? And it's possible download at 320kbps in iTunes???Please help!

Windows 7

Posted on May 12, 2014 12:15 PM

5 replies

May 13, 2014 12:32 AM in response to Awanda74

You are going to get all sorts of responses (as you have seen)..here's my two cents -

When possible, best to have "master" copies that are the highest bitrate possible. Lossless is ideal and given a choice between AAC 256 and mp3 320, I'd take AAC 256 as I can tell on some files a difference. Some files you wont hear much difference do to their range or the quality of the original.

All my CDs are converted to Lossless. They play of course great.If I want, I can make AAC 256 from them with just the direct compression "loss."

My downloads from iTunes remain at AAC 256 and I have from days gone by some MP3's that are ranging from 128 up to 320 bitrate. I hope to replace those later.

The only advantage of Mp3 is if you have multiple "players" that don't play AAC files. Again, having a Lossless copy you can then make mp3 version for those players.

I'll be short on the iTunes store - I have downloaded very good copies of songs at 256 and then all the older material (stuff from decades ago) sound horrible. However, LP version of the same album and some CDs were evidently cut from different "masters" than what iTunes got. I often think the problem remains with the high speed method of conversion. No one checks the quality and not all "masters" (I should say original source) are the same when it comes to transfers. So if you prefer more modern stuff, iTunes is pretty darn good. If you like say some Glen Miller or Ethel Waters or...its hit and miss.

Bottom line - mp3=good, AAC 256 Superior and Lossless =can't be better

Mar 7, 2016 1:59 AM in response to 26340dow

Lossless compression will have a higher bitrate than 256kbps, it'll be somewhere in the thousands so your point about AAC being superior is wrong. As a former DJ i know what the original poster is going on about by wanting 320kbps. This is the lowest bit rate you reasonably go to on a big sound system, as a loud sound system amplifies the sound.

Therefore any bit rate less the 320kbps will sound awful and muffled due to this amplification, because there simply isn't enough data being transmitted per second for the system to use, therefore detail in the music is lost. This isn't something you'll hear on PC speakers or your headphones, because the amplification simply isn't there. It can only be heard when playing on a club system and your effecting the song or altering the eq for the song to give better quality.

It's the same reason photographers use RAW files as opposed to JPG's for editing, because there is usually more than double the data, sometimes there's even three times the data. Which is why you probably assume your AAC files are lossless because you can't hear the difference. However you will notice AAC 256 is much smaller than an MP3 file at 320kbps, or even a FLAC or WMA file. Both of which are lossless, as opposed to AAC which is Lossy as some audio data is "lost".

I need to download music in 320kbps, how can I do it with iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.