Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i have a macbook pro 08 that froze during a os install what do i do?

i was installing mavericks when the screen started flashing and the comp became unresponsive

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.4), safari malware

Posted on May 12, 2014 2:36 PM

38 replies

May 12, 2014 6:58 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks for the reply,

This is part of an ongoing problem that began about 10 days ago.

one morning when I opened the mac from sleep it was off, black screen. I poweref it on and the initial apple screen came on, logo and timer, then the timer froze and a screen came down with this message in several languages.

"you need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button until it turns off. then press the power button again."

I did this several times with the same result. took it to the geek squad and they said it was a hd failure. I replaced the hd with a samsung ssd, formated it and tried to boot from a copy of Snow lepard. the last os was lion but I did not have a recovery disk. Several attempts to boot with snow lepard ended in a quickly flashing frozen screen.I finnally got it running by runnning the old hd through a usb connector it actully ran (I never opened it) and showed up in the disk utility at the same time I connected my time machine external and was able to recover my info to the new hd wich ran much faster. the mac was fine for a couple days and then...the frozen flashing screen returned, I turned off the power and learned - command-r, cmmand-option and was able to get it running after a few tries. the mac generated a 3 page error message to apple along the way. then I down loaded mavericks, i thought update might help, but the mac froze during the install.

Presently when I start it with the option key down, I get two icons. one is the mavericks install disk and the other is the a mavericks revcovery disk , which does not run because , i believe the os is not fully installed. If I hit the install disk the comp freezes.

I think that's all. Any help is greatly appricoated!!!

May 13, 2014 3:15 AM in response to js72j

On the bottom of the MBP is the serial number. Enter it here and post back the information. I need to know the exact model MBP.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

Do you still have the original HDD that you replaced with the SSD that was able to boot the MBP when attached via USB?

Based on your description, your MBP was having a kernel panic. If it happens again, log it and post the result:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2546

Run an Apple Hardware Test:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

Ciao.

May 13, 2014 7:23 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

thanks, I'll follow those directions.

i'll be with this on and off throughout the day.

What can you do with the serial number, other than warrenty info? And why doesn't apple write a copy of their trouble descriptions in plain language for their costumers, wouldn't it be nice to know exactly what caused the crash?

s/n W8810EL1XR

Computers are such an adventure

May 13, 2014 10:29 AM in response to js72j

Good, now I know what MBP you have;

Please advise if you have:

'Do you still have the original HDD that you replaced with the SSD that was able to boot the MBP when attached via USB?' and 'Run an Apple Hardware Test' as I asked before.

In addition, do you have the original Leopard installation discs that came with your MBP? I think you may need the #2 installation disk to run the Apple hardware Test.

Ciao.

May 13, 2014 11:39 AM in response to js72j

i think that partially installed 10.9 os is preventing the orig hd from functioning. what if I remove the ssd and reinstall the original hd. I can reformat the ssd in disc utilites. also i understand that its possible to create a recovery disc from a download from apple, to a usb drive. so mavericks can be installed in that fashion - after running the hdw test.

May 13, 2014 12:47 PM in response to js72j

Connect the original HDD via USB and boot the MBP holding the Option key. Select the external HDD and boot the MBP. Open Disk Utility. If the SSD appears, erase and reformat it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). The try and install Mavericks again. Make certain that you have a solid Internet connection. Hardwire is best.

If the SSD does not show, the internal connection may be faulty. You can test that by installing the external HDD back into the MBP.

To make a USB thumb drive for Mavericks, use these instructions:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2056561/how-to-make-a-bootable-mavericks-install -drive.html

Use the instructions under the title: Option 3: Use DiskMaker X.

Ciao.

May 13, 2014 1:11 PM in response to js72j

js72j wrote:

selected the hdd through usb and no boot just logo and stopped timer. thanks for the tip on hardwire.

Just to be clear and certain, you connected the original internal HDD to the MBP, started the MBP holding the OPTION key. Did the HDD icons appear? If the icons appeared, did you select the external HDD icon. If you did, the MBP did not boot.

Correct?

could it be the partially installed 10.9 os is preventing the orig hd from functioning?

Not in this case. It is totally independent of the functions being performed.

Ciao.

i have a macbook pro 08 that froze during a os install what do i do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.