Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Found an iPad mini in a park in London but it's locked so I reset it and now it's worse than before.

So I have a big problem, I found an iPad mini in a park in London, England. I thought I give it a go and charge to hopefully find the owner of the dam thing but to my luck and probably anyone else that finds these devices now a days, it's code protected. So I figure I give it a full charge and carry it with me on my daily journeys and hope I can find an open wi-fi signal that it will connect to but nothing. It's been almost a month I believe and I'm getting tired of carrying this thing around hoping for some kind of miracle. Well in the long run, I do some Google research to see if there is a way to break the lock code and so I give in to the factory reset because that way I can add the wifi I have at my place of stay. Not before I can finish with the updating it's asking me for the owner's Apple ID and password.

*** Apple. 😐 Now not only can I not get into the bloody iPad but I can't even get the person's full e-mail because it just said's "linked to an Apple ID (h•••••@hotmail.com) blah blah blah"

Now, because of the dam lock screen in the first place, not allowing me to connect to Wi-fi so I could get some info on the owner, now I can't/don't even know what to do considering I reset it to factory settings to see if just connecting it to wifi would pop out a message on the "find my iPad" mode - instead I get a more complicated screen message. Well the damage is done.

Does any one know if now that I have it connect it to Wi-fi, but in factory setting mode, can the owner track it and maybe they can locate it? Or should I just go to my nearest police station and watch them auction it off to the highest bidder? It's not like I can write them an e-mail or plaster a message so they know I've tried everything to find the original owner. I even check to see if they have the iPad register but I the register number isn't popping up anywhere or I'm not looking hard enough.

Any help would be appreciated

iPad

Posted on May 12, 2014 3:47 PM

4 replies

May 12, 2014 4:09 PM in response to Angelz92

An owner has a variety of means to assist someone who finds his lost iPad, and is motivated to return it. Writing a phone number on the back, for example, preferably prior to losing it.

From what you describe, your motivation to return it greatly exceeds the owner's motivation for having it returned.

You can avoid this sort of trouble by not taking other people's stuff. Having done that, now it's your problem.

Feb 5, 2016 9:37 AM in response to Angelz92

Apple want make money, do not care to find your lost or stolen devise.

otherwise they should have made a support where u could state the devise serial NO or other details. on the web support. so they could contact the previous owner about such case.

The problem is when u find or buy a used devise and its not reported stolen.

Found an iPad mini in a park in London but it's locked so I reset it and now it's worse than before.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.