Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will my photo book be printed even without upgrading my iPhoto? My MacBook is 2010 and too old for the iPhoto update

I get a warning when I try to order that I should upgrade iphoto before ordering. However, my 2010 MacBook is too old to accomodate the iphoto upgrade. I just want to be sure that my book will print ok since i'm spending nearly $200 on it! Can someone answer yes or no???

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 12, 2014 4:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2014 4:46 PM

What version of iPhoto do you have?

If you can preview and order then it will match the preview

Before ordering your book preview it using this method - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1040 - and save the resulting PDF for reference - the delivered book will match it.

LN

5 replies

May 13, 2014 10:27 AM in response to momdetrois

For your information a 2010 13" Macbook can run Mavericks and thus the latest iPhoto 9.5.1.

This screenshot shows which previous versions of iPhoto are compatible with Mavericks. It also indicates which versions qualify for a free upgrade to iPhoto 9.5.1 and which require a purchase:

User uploaded file

Note 1: every day more users are reporting problems with iPhoto 8.1.2 so I've included it in the non compatible category.

Note 2: If your previous version of iPhoto was iPhoto 7 (08) or earlier you'll need to download and run the iPhoto Library Upgrader 1.1 application on the library before opening it with iPhoto 9.5.1.

OT

May 13, 2014 10:41 AM in response to momdetrois

To be able to order a printed photo book from Apple, you need iPhoto '09 (version 8.1 or later) or iPhoto '11. version 9.x.x.

See this list of available products and formats for the different versions:

Apple Photo Services: Product line details for books, cards, and calendars

You may have to put additional work into your book after upgrading to iPhoto 9.5.1. The problem is, that the book layouts changed a bit, with the latest iPhoto updates. So, when you upgrade your iPhoto lbrary, the book will be upgraded using one of the newer book templates, and some textboxes may change a little. It is essential, that you preview the book thoroughly after the upgrade, before ordering it.

May 13, 2014 8:06 PM in response to momdetrois

I have iphoto '11 version 9.2.1. I have ordered photobooks in the past and haven't had any trouble but now it's telling me to upgrade. So I called apple support to pose this "simple" yes-no question and was told i'd be charged $19.99 for them to answer my question! What the heck??? Anyway, I appreciate all your help on this forum. I don't know what Mavericks is/are but it appears based on other posts that I can order photobooks as I've always done and not have a problem. Hopefully i'll be able to get a new computer in the coming months and won't have to worry about this again for a while...

Thank you all for your help & tips!!!

Will my photo book be printed even without upgrading my iPhoto? My MacBook is 2010 and too old for the iPhoto update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.