Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant Fails x 4

Brand new Mac Mini, old worn Mac Book Pro. Most recent instructions I found for Migration Assistant were for OSx10.6. Screens are all different but I plowed ahead. Source and Target Macs see each other, connected by firewire, target mac shows list of items to select for transfer, Apps, Data, and something else are selected, but it only indicates like 156k of data to be transferred (not likely). Match ID numbers and click continue. New mac reboots and suspends transfer from Source mac which is left hanging.

I thought this was supposed to be easy?

Craig Mc

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Recent upgrade to Maverick....

Posted on May 12, 2014 8:01 PM

24 replies

May 13, 2014 4:32 PM in response to mhadjar

Apologies, In one attempt (using firewire) the old mac was in target mode. While the Migration Assistant did provide me with a slightly different screen of options, the results were the same, both computers went to grey screen, and returned to a login screen. I have tried firewire as well as ethernet methods and although presented with slightly different screens, results are identical, both or one machine immediately shows grey screen and then brings up login panel. The only thing that has transferred to date is Safari favorites. I have also tried selecting only 'Documents and Data' versus the whole package, again with same results. I am currently performing a backup on the old Mac Book Pro, and unable to initiate any transfer attempts for another...20 minutes, but will be available to try suggestions in a few minutes. I was considering calling Apple support instead of this forum, but will make reasonable attempts with your help instead.

May 13, 2014 4:35 PM in response to CMac_RCCA

When Migration Assistant fails, I always recommend just transfering the user data (Users folder) only. Because upgrading to a new OS contains different system files and sometimes issues with Application compatibility, I never recommend selecting more than just the user data. Even then, you may have user preferences that are no longer needed or compatible with the newer apps.

MA works best when transfering from one computer to another of the same OS version in my opinion. I prefer to copy all my data to a thumb drive or external drive from the old computer, and then copy it to the new computer.

May 13, 2014 5:05 PM in response to mhadjar

Well, I am on identical Op Sys OSx 10.9.2, and selected the Data only but that failed. I can easily transfer data via thumb drive or external hard drive. My biggest concern, and the greatest benefit to Migration was the Applications, and I'm OK if some of those have incinsistencies, but I would rather not have to reinstall over 25 applications, tracking down registrations, convincing Microsoft of the switch in computers, etc. Is there a script available that covers the copying of not only Applications folder contents, but also some of the nooks and crannies that were presumably being copied when Migration Assistant 'would' work?

Migration Assistant Fails x 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.