Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 4,1 Fan Problem

Just recently I did a fresh installation of Mavericks 10.9.2 onto a new Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD (connected via an ICY Dock Enclosure) and placed it into my Mac Pro 4,1 (2009) 8 core as my main system drive and have since been experiencing strange Fan behaviour.

When I boot my Mac up everyday for the first time the Fans run at full speed, but if I reboot the problem goes away?.....

I have tries resetting the SMC and PRAM but it still happens.

I have also recently added a UAD-2 Quad PCIe card as well as replacing the stock graphics cards (GT120's) with an ATI Radeon 5770 which was a while ago.

This is the first time I have experienced odd Fan behavior since purchasing the Mac 5 years ago.

Can anyone help!!?..😕

Many Thanks,

Noodlez

Posted on May 13, 2014 12:26 PM

3 replies

Jul 4, 2014 7:40 AM in response to noodlez123

Similar experience here. MacPro 4,1 upgraded processor 3.2 GHz, updated video to 5770 ATI. With those upgrades no fan issues. A few days ago added Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250 GB. OK first few days then shut Mac down for @ 48 hours. Today started it back up and PCI and Power Supply fans speeds were noticeably up. Waited a few minutes, rebooted and now back in normal/quiet range.

Just to update - my SSD install was done using a clone of my primary drive, not a clean install.

Mac Pro 4,1 Fan Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.