Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is XPCD which spams my logs in Console?

Hi,

I keep on getting the following logs in Console:

2014-05-13 5:24:01.130 PM xpcd[215]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc

2014-05-13 5:24:01.733 PM xpcd[215]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc

2014-05-13 5:24:01.959 PM xpcd[215]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc

2014-05-13 5:24:02.847 PM xpcd[215]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc

2014-05-13 5:24:05.880 PM xpcd[215]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc

2014-05-13 5:24:06.630 PM xpcd[215]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc

I have strolled the internet and could not find anything that would tell me how to stop this error spamming me.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9), 2.5 GHz, 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Cor

Posted on May 13, 2014 2:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2014 2:35 PM

xpcd : description of Mac OS X process : by triviaware

There is apparently a problem with how it was installed or somebody removed that file. I suggest you reinstall OS X. It is not spam if it's in a Console log.

Reinstall Lion, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks without erasing drive

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Repair

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported then click on the Repair Permissions button. When the process is completed, then quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall Mountain Lion or Mavericks

OS X Mavericks- Reinstall OS X

OS X Mountain Lion- Reinstall OS X

OS X Lion- Reinstall Mac OS X

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet

if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2014 2:35 PM in response to stamatgeorge

There is apparently a problem with how it was installed or somebody removed that file. I suggest you reinstall OS X. It is not spam if it's in a Console log.

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Repair

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported then click on the Repair Permissions button. When the process is completed, then quit DU and return to the main menu.

May 14, 2014 11:38 AM in response to Kappy

Thanks. I reinstalled Mavericks and waiting to see if these message reappaear.

Kappy wrote:

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Repair

May 15, 2014 5:20 AM in response to stamatgeorge

I reinstalled Mavericks from Recovery HD and it seemed to have solved the issue although after couple of hours I get the errors again:

2014-05-15 12:46:41.611 AM xpcd[218]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc

2014-05-15 12:46:58.906 AM xpcd[218]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc

2014-05-15 12:47:10.194 AM xpcd[218]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc

2014-05-15 12:48:03.757 AM xpcd[218]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc

2014-05-15 12:48:05.267 AM xpcd[218]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc

2014-05-15 12:48:06.478 AM xpcd[218]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc

2014-05-15 12:48:09.166 AM xpcd[218]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc

2014-05-15 12:48:52.149 AM xpcd[218]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc

2014-05-15 12:49:02.194 AM xpcd[218]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc

2014-05-15 12:49:03.878 AM xpcd[218]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc

2014-05-15 12:52:02.235 AM xpcd[218]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc

May 15, 2014 1:10 PM in response to stamatgeorge

Then there is something else wrong, but I don't know what that would be. I can only offer two things to try but they aren't solutions:

1. Boot into Safe Mode to see if the problem recurs while in safe mode.

2. Create a new admin user account. Log out of your account and into the new one to see if the problem ceases.

If the problem recurs in Item 2, then you know the problem is related to something with the system and not in your user account.

If the problem ceases in safe mode, then that confirms the issue is a system issue.

The only other thing I can think of would be an as yet uninstalled security update. You can try Software Update from the Apple menu to see if a security update appears.

Jul 23, 2014 3:26 AM in response to stamatgeorge

Reinstalling Mavericks would fine if I didn't have to restart the download a minimum of ten times and sometimes as many as 14. The download just stops and will not resume even after a period of two hours.

I get that Console Log message hundreds of times per day.

Another thing is that in the Install Log, I get this message which I think is one of, or possibly "the" reason for the constant download shutdowns, and this is copied right from the Install Log.

Jun 17 09:22:47 localhost Install OS X Mavericks[380]: Machine not in database, falling back to app store...

Jun 17 09:22:48 localhost Unknown[360]: 2014-06-17 09:22:48.431 Install OS X Mavericks[380:1003] Couldn't find app store version, falling back to hardcoded

Whatever.

It's a flippant comment to say that "somebody removed the file" because unless my dog has learned to use this comp... well, you get the picture.

The file just never gets downloaded... obviously... because all I do is to let the process continue, and then constantly restart the download time and time again.

This has been going on since Snow Leopard.

Jul 28, 2014 4:51 AM in response to stamatgeorge

I've also been seeing a lot of XPCD errors on my machine. This is how the XPCD errors would appear in the Console:

xpcd[224]: Info.plist does not contain an XPCService dictionary: /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc

This was driving me crazy, but I figured out how to fix it on my 2013 Macbook Air on OS X 10.9.4. Use at your own risk.

Any comments are welcome!

How to fix XPCD errors in OS X 10.9 Mavericks

DISCLAIMER: Editing system files and using the sudo command can be dangerous if done improperly. I am not responsible for any damage or data loss that may occur on your machine from following this procedure. Use at your own risk.

!!For some reason the Apple Community forums is adding a space in 'Contents'... Not sure why. This makes the commands fail. Remove the space. Posted correctly here: http://goo.gl/Z3KwGi!!

1. Open Terminal

2. Backup the /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc/Con tents/Info.plist file. This command will make a copy of the file on your desktop in case anything goes wrong:

cp /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc/Con tents/Info.plist ~/Desktop/Info.plist

3. Enter this command to add the XPCService dictionary to the SecurityAgent.xpc Info.plist:

sudo defaults write /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc/Con tents/Info.plist XPCService -dict-add ServiceType System

4. Next convert the plist back to the XML it was originally in with this:

sudo plutil -convert xml1 /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc/Con tents/Info.plist

5. Finally make sure the permissions are how they were originally by running these commands:

sudo chown root:wheel /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc/Con tents/Info.plist

sudo chmod 644 /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc/Con tents/Info.plist

6. Restart your computer for good measure. If all went well, the XPCD errors should be gone from the console.

For ease, here are the commands listed above in a single block:

cp /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc/Con tents/Info.plist ~/Desktop/Info.plist

sudo defaults write /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc/Con tents/Info.plist XPCService -dict-add ServiceType System

sudo plutil -convert xml1 /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc/Con tents/Info.plist

sudo chown root:wheel /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc/Con tents/Info.plist

sudo chmod 644 /System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/XPCServices/SecurityAgent.xpc/Con tents/Info.plist

Hope this helps.

What is XPCD which spams my logs in Console?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.