Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot connect my I pad mini and iPhone using Bluetooth.

Posted on May 13, 2014 7:04 PM

9 replies

Mar 31, 2015 3:34 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I'm not sure what made you think that that was not what Regal trail was asking... I am having the same problem and wish that that question had been answered! I believe I've gone through the same steps that used to work, to no avail now. But I'm betting that you (Chris) have the answer to this!

In a nutshell: I'm trying to share my iPhone's cellular connection with my WiFi-only iPad Mini, using a Bluetooth connection. I used to do this regularly, but went for a period of time without the need for it, and so am hard pressed now to identify which thing that might have changed during the interim would have made it no longer work.

iPhone is connected to internet via cellular data (AT&T LTE). Bluetooth is on. Personal Hotspot is on.

On iPad, Bluetooth is on. My iPhone shows up in the list under My Devices, and I can select it, and it will connect for approximately 5 seconds. The shared connection icon shows up on the iPad. The iPhone (on the Bluetooth screen) shows, for those 5 seconds, that the iPad is connected, but the shared connection status bar never shows up on the iPhone.

After 5 seconds, it disconnects.

Thoughts? Need more info? Let me know! Thanks.

Mar 31, 2015 6:10 PM in response to Keith Gardner1

Because generally when people ask, they are wanting to connect the two devices to share files, and that is why I answered that way, which answered the posters question. It is hard to tell why yours does not work, since I do not use this feature. The only time that I have ever tried to tether an iPad was earlier on and I used the USB. My current iPad Mini is Wi-Fi and cellular. I'm guessing here that you have looked at the usage instructions here, Share your Internet connection with Personal Hotspot - Apple Support and then the troubleshooting instructions here, iOS: Troubleshooting Personal Hotspot - Apple Support

From there, I'm a little bit of loss. I don't have time right now to test my device, but will later. I'm a college professor and am grading papers between trying to read my participated content that has been added to since last night. Your lucky I had answered this, or you may not have gotten a response from anyone else. Try those support documents, and I'll take a look at trying to connect my device later this evening.

Mar 31, 2015 7:04 PM in response to Keith Gardner1

Okay, I just worked on my two devices. I have an iPhone 5s on iOS 8.2, and an iPad Mini on iOS 8.2. I turned off Wi-Fi on my iPad, and turned on Personal Hotspot on my iPhone. While the iPad is both Cellular and Wi-Fi, I have cellular turned off. Once Personal Hotspot was active on the iPhone, I went to the Bluetooth settings on the iPad. Bluetooth was already on, and it showed the iPhone discoverable. I tapped on the iPhone listing, and after a few seconds, I got a dialog box on both the iPad and the iPhone that the iPad wanted to pair with the iPhone, and to verify that the code visible on the devices was the same. It was, so I tapped on Okay for both of them and it connected. I waited about 20 seconds before opening Safari on my iPad and making sure that I could access the Internet. It worked just fine, and I surfed for a couple of minutes to make sure that I did not get a disconnect as you described earlier.

I'm not sure where yours might have failed, but did you select Forget This Device so you could attempt to pair the two devices again?

Apr 1, 2015 7:20 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Ahhh, I look with fond memories upon the details of your post. Yes, that was me, once! That was my splendid life! Every detail you've given was exactly the specific scenario that worked for me, with the single small exception that mine was an iPhone 5, not 5s.

And that makes me realize that I did recently change to an iPhone 6, and I do not believe that I have successfully used the personal hotspot since that upgrade.

It may be that AT&T has changed some aspect of my account. They seem to have mixed messages regarding the availability of tethering or personal hotspots when I read their site, so I'm going to have to get on the phone with them today to confirm. The fact is, however, that it at one time did work for me, and now it does not, and I have not willingly or knowingly made any changes to the features of my account.

I do appreciate your post however, as I thought I was just misremembering or something. But it did work that way, yes. And yes, I did Forget both devices and try re-pairing, several times. The code displayed on each device, the codes matched, I said ok to each, and still could not sustain the connection.

Apr 1, 2015 9:43 AM in response to Keith Gardner1

If you are able to activate the Personal Hotspot on your AT&T device, then you should be provisioned for it, but you can check with them. If you have a Mobile Share account, it should be active. Before testing out the Bluetooth connection, I would troubleshoot just getting the connection to hold, and then try connecting via USB and then the others. It was quite easy to do, once I had the time to do it, but I'm not sure what troubleshooting you have tried on your devices. If the iPad connected with the iPhone 5, you might want to see about resetting Network Settings on that device and then attempt the connection again. however, if you are not establishing a good network to start with on the iPhone 6, then you will need to troubleshoot that device first.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.