Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages v 5.2, how to alternate page numbering sides?

Hi there,

I would like page numbering to alternate from the left to right side (maybe as odd and even numbers). I've found information and tutorials for this for older versions of Pages (http://macmost.com/adding-page-numbers-in-pages.html), but I can't find the same menus and options in the inspector in the version I am using. Am I missing something?

Thanks ahead for any help.

iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 13, 2014 6:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2017 8:14 AM

Salve a tutti ragazzi!

L'unica soluzione che ho trovato e aggiungere una casella di testo all'altezza del piè di pagina. Nella casella dipsosizione impostare posizionamento oggetto: Fisso, Contorno con testo: nessuno. Inserire nella casella di testo il numero di pagina dal menu Inserisci > inserisci numero di pagina. In seguito creare due nuovi stili paragrafo uno per e pagine pari e uno per le pagine dispari. Copiare ed incollare la casella di testo creata su ogni pagina del documento all'altezza del pie di pagina e formattare il testo con gli stili. Funziona perfettamente. Spero che sia di aiuto a qualcuno. Ho editato un documento di piu di 200 pagine con indici diversi per ogni capitolo e tutto funziona senza ulteriori modiche al testo. Peccato che apple abbia tolto questa importante funzione. Saluti Roberto

Hello to all guys!

The only solution I've found and adding a text box to the footer. In the Layout box, set object placement: Fixed, Outline with Text: None. Enter the page number in the text box on the Insert menu> enter page number. Then create two new paragraph styles one for and equal pages and one for odd pages. Copy and paste the created text box on each page of the document at the top of the page and format the text with the styles. It works perfectly. I hope it helps someone. I have edited a document of more than 200 pages with different indexes for each chapter and everything works without further modification to the text. It is a pity that apple has taken away this important function. Hello Roberto

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2017 8:14 AM in response to SharonaCanada

Salve a tutti ragazzi!

L'unica soluzione che ho trovato e aggiungere una casella di testo all'altezza del piè di pagina. Nella casella dipsosizione impostare posizionamento oggetto: Fisso, Contorno con testo: nessuno. Inserire nella casella di testo il numero di pagina dal menu Inserisci > inserisci numero di pagina. In seguito creare due nuovi stili paragrafo uno per e pagine pari e uno per le pagine dispari. Copiare ed incollare la casella di testo creata su ogni pagina del documento all'altezza del pie di pagina e formattare il testo con gli stili. Funziona perfettamente. Spero che sia di aiuto a qualcuno. Ho editato un documento di piu di 200 pagine con indici diversi per ogni capitolo e tutto funziona senza ulteriori modiche al testo. Peccato che apple abbia tolto questa importante funzione. Saluti Roberto

Hello to all guys!

The only solution I've found and adding a text box to the footer. In the Layout box, set object placement: Fixed, Outline with Text: None. Enter the page number in the text box on the Insert menu> enter page number. Then create two new paragraph styles one for and equal pages and one for odd pages. Copy and paste the created text box on each page of the document at the top of the page and format the text with the styles. It works perfectly. I hope it helps someone. I have edited a document of more than 200 pages with different indexes for each chapter and everything works without further modification to the text. It is a pity that apple has taken away this important function. Hello Roberto

Mar 3, 2015 3:23 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Is it just me, or it seems that newer versions of Pages are getting less and less features?...

Alternating facing pages is a must for any serious word processor... there surely is some way to achieve the same results? And yes, I have seen how it is so easy to do it on previous versions of Pages, but all those options definitely disappeared on the current version...

Mar 3, 2015 4:43 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Well, for no particular reason — or rather, the same reason why I'm not using, say, Snow Leopard any more. It feels awkward to downgrade to get more features. At least it seems that the latest versions of Pages '09 support iCloud and Retina displays, so I might grab my old license and re-install it...

I mean, if I really, really need more features (or, in this instance, features that have always been part of Pages in the past), my better choice is simply to continue to use Microsoft Word :-P I hate bloated-up Word, though, but it still works better than OpenOffice, and certainly has all the necessary features for extensive editing professional documents.

As Pages seems to get simpler and simpler, one of these days I'll just use TextEdit for simple documents. It supports styling and RTF documents, after all...

Mar 3, 2015 7:14 AM in response to Gwyneth Llewelyn

Gwyneth Llewelyn wrote:

At least it seems that the latest versions of Pages '09 support iCloud and Retina displays, so I might grab my old license and re-install it...

You may not need to reinstall anything. It may still be in Applications/iWork. Have a look there.

Your conclusions regarding Word and TextEdit run parallel to those expressed here by countless other users since Pages 5 was released back in October of 2013. Be sure to let Apple know via an app store review and their feedback channel.

Jun 25, 2016 10:04 PM in response to SharonaCanada

I'm in the app developer program for apple, and I have to say, I am vehemently ashamed of apple. What kind of joke is this? Apple has everything you could possibly imagine for all facets of app development and coding. But no alternating page number option for pages? You've got to be kidding me. This is supposed to be the greatest company in america.

Pages v 5.2, how to alternate page numbering sides?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.