Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my iPhone 5c connect to the internet without wi-fi?

This is so strange, but I can't use my iPhone 5c apps when I'm not connected to wifi. This makes no sense because I have a data plan. It's not unlimited, but I've already checked with my carrier, and my data for the month has barely been used. The internet simply doesn't work without wi-fi. I've tried everything short of restoring the phone to its factory settings. I've done a hard reset by pressing the home and power buttons at the same time, powered the phone off and on several times. I've tried resetting the network settings. Nothing has worked. On wi-fi, my phone will work just fine. I can connect to all my apps and the internet. But on LTE or 3G, I can't even send an iMessage.

I really don't want to have to head into the Apple store and get a new phone, but I will if no one can figure out what's wrong. I'm about to try a full restore to factory settings after backing everything up to my computer. So we'll see how it goes.

iPhone 5c, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 13, 2014 6:23 PM

3 replies

Oct 28, 2017 4:08 AM in response to milok9starr

I do encounter it time and now when switching from wifi to LTE (especially when I am on the move). The following does the trick for me:

1. Switch off Wi-Fi from Settings
  2. Switch off Cellular Data & then turn it back on
  3. Making sure that Data Roaming is on & 4G/LTE is on in Cellular Data Options
  4. Switch on Airplane Mode & switch it back off

Safari & Chrome starts to load web pages. Also, make sure the latest OTA carrier updates are applied.

Oct 26, 2017 2:23 PM in response to milok9starr

This bug drives me crazy. It happens to me all the time too.

1) WIFI is turned on, but not connected (example I'm at Starbucks but don't want to use their WIFI)

2) LTE shows strong signal

3) Webpages don't load, intermittent "no network" error messages

"Solution"

1) Turn off WIFI completely in settings

2) High speed data works immediately.

3) Remember to turn WIFI back on when you get home again so you don't waste plan data on data.

BIG bug that's been around forever, is still here (IOS 11.0.3, October 2017. I've had it on all of my iPhones, all versions of iOS for many years.

Needs to be fixed Apple!!

Why won't my iPhone 5c connect to the internet without wi-fi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.