Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 21.5 EFI restoration problem

Hi,

There was a blackout yesterday and my iMac 21.5 (mid 2011) got a power off.

When the electricity turn on, the iMac turned on automatically, but with a blank screen and beeps (three short, three long, three short).

I understand from the Apple support page that the beeps indicating that EFI restoration is supposed to be in progress with a grey screen and progress bar.

But strangely, the grey screen never appear because the iMac shutdown after the beeps (fan is off), and then turn itself on again (fan is on) automatically with the beeps, and then shutdown again, and keep restarting forever. Can someone please give a clue about what is going on here?

Thanks

Luke

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on May 13, 2014 9:49 PM

5 replies

May 14, 2014 3:02 AM in response to Kappy

The page also states, "Newer computers automatically recover from a corrupted ROM; when this occurs a progress bar appears on a grey background." But in my case, there is no grey background nor progress bar, only blank screen because right after those nine beeps, the mac keep restarting; and each time it restart, the same pattern happens: nine beeps then followed by another restart. I have no clue, what should I do to solve this problem?

iMac 21.5 EFI restoration problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.