Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 5C camera won't focus. How can i fix it?

As I said my 5C won't focus. What is the problem and how can I fix it?

iPhone 5c, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 14, 2014 12:15 PM

6 replies

May 14, 2014 12:30 PM in response to Kocevski

Are you really close to what's trying to focus on?

Also make sure the film or anything isnt' covering it.

Does the lens look okay?

Does tapping on the screen let it at least attempt to focus?

If all else fails, I would back the iPhone up, and restore it through iTunes and set up as new. This would help isolate the issue, and if it persists, after a restore, you could be looking at a potential hardware issue.

Best of luck!

May 14, 2014 1:06 PM in response to Kocevski

Your finger is probably too close to the camera lens to focus. It focused as close as it could on the keyboard in the first clip, and is probably trying to figure out that it cannot focus on the finger again in the second. Try focusing on the keyboard itself. I just tried a similar shot to what you show, with spacing between the 3 and 6 key on my laptop and that is rather close to the laptop, so when I tried to put my finger there, it was way too close.

Feb 4, 2015 2:14 PM in response to wavymitch

I have the same problem with my 5c & it is clearly a problem with the phone, not the object being too close. It used to work fine but has recently stopped working. I've compared it with a friends 5c and his attempts to focus whereas mine doesn't seem to do much. I have a bar code reader app which no longer works because the iPhone can't focus on objects closer than 50cm. A nuisance on a fairly new phone.

It would seem that this is a common problem with iPhones - there are lots of posts online about it, suggesting slapping the phone! Clear.y Apple haven't fixed the problem even with the later iPhones! This is my first iPhone & I'd hoped for better from Apple.

I've tapped the phone but am reluctant to hit it hard. Any ideas?

My iPhone 5C camera won't focus. How can i fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.