Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password incorrect when restoring from backup

I have restored my iPhone last night. After that I was trying to restore from backup, but iTunes keep asking me for password. I did not set any password for the backup before this. I have tried all the possible passwords but it keeps showing password incorrect! How can I solve this? 😕

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 14, 2014 4:06 PM

9 replies

Apr 20, 2017 2:37 PM in response to psteh

I had this same problem and tried many solutions, old passwords, admin password, etc. without success. Then I saw this thread on iMore, and it worked! Basically, go to your keychain and look for iPhone backup. Click "show password" and then you will probably have to type in your admin password (for the whole computer). Then you will see the password you are seeking. Cut and paste this pw into the iTunes password request window. Boom! At least it worked for me.

Here is the thread I found:

Originally Posted by DarlaMack
  1. Open Keychain Access, found in /Applications/Utilities/
  2. Use the Search box in the upper right corner and type "iphone backup"
  3. When you see that long number where it says "Account", make sure it matches your device by going under your connected device in iTunes, and clicking a few times where it says Serial Number (FYI this is your UDID number)
  4. Double click the result, assuming something is found in Keychain
  5. Check the box next to "Show password" and enter the Mac administrator password to find password for keychain file iTunes backup.

May 14, 2014 4:14 PM in response to psteh

First, reboot your computer. Sometimes the request for a password is mistaken and rebooting will clear it. Then connect the phone and click on its name in iTunes. Is "Encrypt backup" checked? If it is then at some time in the past (and it could have been 6 years ago if you had an iPhone then) the box was checked and a password was entered. Or you have a corporate MS Exchange email account and your IT Administrator required that the backup be encrypted.

Either way you have to figure out the password. Try unchecking "encrypt backup". It will prompt for a password. Make an educated guess. It is a password that you have used at some time in the past. (Unchecking the box is a faster way of guessing than trying to restore.)

There is no other way to restore that backup, unless you have maintained iCloud backups. These do not require or allow passwords, because they are already encrypted with your Apple ID password.

If you are desperate there is a commercial product that can break SOME backup passwords if they are not too strong. Visit elcomsoft.com for more information. This tool is intended for law enforcement use, and is priced accordingly, however, they have a trial version that will give you the first two characters of the password.

Password incorrect when restoring from backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.