Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change Gmail notification sound

I am new to using the Apple operating system, and I recently got an iPad mini. For the most part I am figuring it out, but I am having trouble with the sound that notifies me I have a new Gmail, and I have missed a couple important messages. I do get a low chime when I get a Gmail, but even when I am in the same room sometimes I miss hearing this.

In the settings, in the notifications section, it looks like I have chosen the Popcorn sound. I wanted this because this is longer and harder to miss, but, it still only sounds a single low chime when I get a gmail. I have gone to the gmail tab of the notifications section, and it looks like everything is turned on, but nothing I do changes the notification sound. I also found the option to get several notifications spaced a couple minutes apart for new mail, and I thought I set that up as it seemed it would also help, but that has not worked either.

Is it possible to select a different sound to notify me when I have a new gmail? what am I doing wrong?

iPad mini Wi-Fi, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 14, 2014 6:31 PM

14 replies

Jan 29, 2017 2:34 PM in response to robdrage

Look, people. The reason we use the Gmail app instead of apple's mail app is because the mail app won't allow push notifications for gmail - just fetch. So if we want to be alerted whenever we get a new email, we MUST use the gmail app. Either that, or wait up to an hour, or wait less time and watch the battery drain with more frequent fetches.

Why don't we just use our iCloud email addresses? Because gmail is portable. If you switch to android or pc, it's much easier to stay connected to gmail than iCloud. Remember. It's Apple we're taking about. Closed stystem. Proprietary everything. Apple does not work well and play well with others (gmail, Amazon, etc). It's just the way it is.

May 6, 2017 2:00 PM in response to GreenWonder

It appears your gmail is synced with your device's mail app, since you hear a sound when you receive a new gmail message. The sound you are hearing should be the sound that has been set for new email in the device's mail app. You can choose that sound by going to Settings, then clicking on Sounds, New Mail, ALERT TONES. Mine is set to Chord. On this screen you can also set the default vibration for when the device is on mute.

I added the gmail app when I got my phone, but did not hear any sounds until I found out how to sync my gmail with my iphone's mail app: Settings, Mail, Accounts - Gmail, Gmail; then turn on Mail (and Contacts, Calendars, Notes as you wish.)

May 6, 2017 2:10 PM in response to Archmqn66

If you have a paid google account, you can get push emails for gmail instead of just fetch by setting up an Exchange email account. See this: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-set-up-push-gmail-in-iphone-mail-1172554. I just learned how to sync my gmail app with my iphone's mail app so I could get a sound when I receive a new gmail message (since gmail does not offer a sound alert.) I was also able to choose the sound in the settings for new email. On my test emails from iphone mail to gmail, the banner and sound happened immediately.

May 15, 2014 7:52 AM in response to robdrage

Hello Robdrage

Thank you for trying to help me, but I have already tried most of the obvious possible solutions.

I have gone to Settings > Sounds > New Mail> and chosen Popcorn (and other sounds which have not worked either)

I have gone to Settings> Notification Center>

Under "Access on Lock Screen" , Notification View, and Today view, are both on

Under "Today View" Today Summery, Calendar Day view, Reminders, and Tomorrow Summary are all on, even though I do not know what any of these are for and will probably not be using them.

Under "Notification View" I have checked Sort by Time , but up until a couple days ago it had Sort Manually checked. I don't know what this is for, but neither makes any difference to my ability to choose a different notification sound.

Then there is a long list of Apps or functions to include, one of which is Gmail. I have the Gmail App.

I choose Gmail . "Alert Style" ALERTS

Badge App Icon ON

Sounds ON

Under "Show in Notification Center" ON

Include > 5 recent items

"Show On Lock Screen" ON

Oddly I now cannot find where I found a place where I had the option to set up notifications that repeat 2 to 10 times every couple minutes... Which makes me think I set this up for some other obscure service which was not Gmail.

As I type this out I realize the Gmail app doesn't actually connect to any options to set up different notifications sounds, so maybe what is going on is that the choices for New Mail sounds in the Notification Center section are only available to the Apple email I have not set up, as I do not need another email and my business is set up to use Gmail.

Have I figured it out?

May 15, 2014 8:18 AM in response to GreenWonder

I have gone to Settings > Sounds > New Mail> and chosen Popcorn (and other sounds which have not worked either)

You are correct that this is just for Apple Mail.

Under "Today View" Today Summery, Calendar Day view, Reminders, and Tomorrow Summary are all on, even though I do not know what any of these are for and will probably not be using them.

These are shown in Notification Center, to access pull down center top of home screen, probably not helpful in this situation.

Then there is a long list of Apps or functions to include, one of which is Gmail. I have the Gmail App.

I do not have the App itself so probably can't help with these.

Have I figured it out?

I think you have,

Not sure of any other options withoout using the built in mail app. You could set that up as well just for the notifications, but it would probably be a pain.

I, however only use Apple mail, with multiple email accounts including a couple gmail accounts and everything works well for me that way.

Good luck and sorry I was not of more help.

May 15, 2014 8:36 AM in response to robdrage

Thanks... that helps. At least now I can stop beating my head against that particular wall.

The ability of an Apple mail account to sync with several different emails accounts (esp if this would give me the options of choosing a more audible notification) may be helpful. Once I get past figuring out the basics I may set this up. It would not make sense just to do this for my Gmail, but I have another email account I sometimes use, which never gives me notifications, which I have to check periodically. Having a sync with the 2 existing accounts may make the effort of setting up another mail account worthwhile.

Jul 1, 2015 8:49 AM in response to kuhliloach

The best solution I can think of is this:

- Link your Gmail to the Apple Mail and go to the notification settings

- Have it NOT show notifications in the Notification Center

- Pick your customized sound

- Go to Gmail app notifications

- Turn off Sounds

- Show in Notification Center

This is the safest way IMO to get this as close as possible to the real thing. You will be getting two inbox's with mail so hopefully that isn't too bad as I'm not sure how much extra space this will use, so sorry if this actually is problematic for someone.

What these steps ultimately do is that it makes sounds too the gmail apple app but everything else is tied to the gmail app. By not showing gmail apple mail app emails in the notification center, you don't push out your other apple mail account notifications in there. So your gmail app has all 10 slots available to itself in the notification center. I don't know why all apple mail notification center is tied to just 10 (i have 5 email accounts tied to apple mail so the clutter is real) so having the gmail app for notification center is great to solo out!

There are a few issues with this solution but I still think it's better than having the unfamiliar gmail app sound. The gmail apple mail app can only fetch, not push. So there will be a little delay in the sound at times, you can try messing around with the lock and unlock screen notifications but I think it's better to leave the gmail app on for everything except the sounds. And turn off everything for the gmail apple app except the sounds. Aside from that delay, by turning off the gmail sounds you still get the notifications, and you phone will notify you whenever when it finally arrives in the apple mail. I hope this solution helps some of you guys out and let me know what you think too, as I'm still experimenting to see if I want the apple mail portion show up on the lock screen instead of the gmail.

Jul 7, 2016 11:25 PM in response to kuhliloach

I have always had this issue too. For some inexplicable reason, Google simply refuse to allow a change in notification sounds on the iphone. app It's ridiculous to make the only choice such a quiet little "bong." I've missed thousands of notifications but I have no choice...gmail on the iphone mail ***** and emails only occasionally come in...and even then, sometimes hours late. The Gmail app has Push delivery, so at least the emails come in right away....you just don't hear that they're there!!!

How to change Gmail notification sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.