Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't find iPhoto Library

I recently upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mavericks (in january). After that my iPhoto disappeared, but would occasionally reappear when I plugged in my iPhone, iPad, and SD card. When it did that, all my photos were all in place and I could view them. The iPhoto icon was still in lauchpad with a question mark over it. It wasn't registering in the App store either, which wanted me to buy the app.

After browsing forums, I decided to delete the mysterious icon (by dragging it to the trash), and to reinstall it from the hard disk that came with the Mac. It thereafter registered as a proper app in lauchpad, but expectedly, didn't work as the version was too old. So I updated it through the App Store (where it also registered) but now all my photos are gone.

Digging through my time machine, I cannot seem to find the folder to restore, so I'm now lost.

Could someone please help me find my photos...

Posted on May 15, 2014 4:23 AM

15 replies

Jul 23, 2015 2:48 PM in response to léonie

I am having this problem right now. I just upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mavericks and I can't open my iPhoto because it says it is not compatible. I can't upgrade to the newer version of iPhoto because in the app store it says it is already installed (but it is not). I have iPhoto 9.2.3 that is not compatible. I read something else here on the online support that said to restore the iPhoto liabrary from a back up. When I do that it tells me it can't restore it because I don't have enough space. (if I am restoring it, shouldn't it take up the same amount of space it already is? Why do I need more? And I have 50GB of storage free). I don;t want to go straight to yosemite because I want to be able to use iPhoto and not be forced to only use Photos.

Any ideas?

Jul 23, 2015 3:34 PM in response to Yer_Man

After I upgraded to Mavericks last night my iPhoto in my dock and in my applications folder has an anti sign (the circle with the line). And a pop up comes up if I click on it that says "You can't use this version of the application "iPhoto.app" with this version of OS X. You have "iPhoto.app" 9.2.3"

In Snow leopard my iPhoto icon was red/orange. I was told my someone at the apple store that if I have the older version of iPhoto where the icon is red then it is not supported by Yosemite and I would have to use photos. If I have the newer iPhotos where the icon is blue, then in Yosemite you can choose to use iPhoto or Photos.

If you say this version of iPhoto should work in Mavericks, how do I get it to work?

Jul 24, 2015 7:40 AM in response to Bishopsgirl13

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Aug 30, 2015 4:40 PM in response to Yer_Man

I'm a new iMac/Apple user and I'm super frustrated to be able to perform simple tasks on my iMac... such as my iPhoto doesn't work all of a sudden.

I recently downloaded the update for OS X Yosemite (i don't know what it was before this update, and there were no other downloads to be hidden in a purchase list) and now when I try to open iPhoto it tells me "The version of iPhoto installed on this Mac is not compatible with OS X Yosemite. Download the latest version for free from the Mac App Store." But when I go to the app store iPhoto is not an option... I do have a Photos (app?) on my system and this will allow me to edit the photo in the app but there is no 'save' feature and every time I share the photo (such as to social media) it reverts the photo back to the original photo. I also can't seem to find 'albums' when trying to upload photos from my computer now. Everything is disorganized. Needing serious help to perform simple tasks. Any advice is appreciated!

Aug 30, 2015 6:44 PM in response to aes6x7

For iPhoto you need version 9.6.1 - since you did not keep your software up to date see Can't Update iPhoto because it is not available in the App Store

as to using Photos (or iPhoto for that matter) you need to go to the apple store and take a class - and under the help menu read the help file and take the training there - you do not understand how a modern Photo manager works and are creating much necessary frustration for yourself by not taking a few minutes to learn how to use it

There is no save because that is totally automatic - and you are not even close to upload correctly - see this article (it i about iPhoto but all the concepts and most of the actual operations pertain to Photos too - How to Access Files in iPhoto - in fact res all of these articles as they will help you understand the Photos/iPhoto environment iPhoto for Mac

LN

Can't find iPhoto Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.