Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule stopped working.

Hi,

I was asked to update the Time Capsule firware a few weeks ago, and everything remained fine, until all of a sudden, on Sunday, the 11th of May, my Time Capsule stopped working on my iMac.

I don't understand.

When I try to set-up my Time Capsule, it says: "This version of AirPort Utility doesn't support this AirPort wireless device and might improperly configure the device if you continue to use it. Check www.apple.com/support/airport for the latest version of AirPort Utility."

I run OS 10.6.8 on my iMac, with Airport Utility 5.6.1 (561.3).

I have no problem with my MacBook Pro.

Thanks!

Chris.

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 15, 2014 8:25 AM

9 replies

May 15, 2014 2:28 PM in response to Krissserz

The new AC version apple routers and the Express Gen2 require a v6 airport utility. You may have got around that up to now but the new security improvement in the latest firmware will lock you out.

You need either later OS, Lion or after.

Or you need to use airport utility on an iOS device.. v6 or later.

Or get a friend to bring their Mac laptop and help you.

May 16, 2014 3:00 PM in response to Krissserz

The error message you got.

When I try to set-up my Time Capsule, it says: "This version of AirPort Utility doesn't support this AirPort wireless device and might improperly configure the device if you continue to use it. Check www.apple.com/support/airport for the latest version of AirPort Utility."

Means that you must use a v6 airport utility.

Apple have not released v6 utility for OSX 10.6 or windows. The last version of the utility is the one you have.. 5.6.1

So you need a computer that supports v6 utilty.. that means a computer running Lion or later.

Or iOS v6 or later.

Do you have an iphone or ipad or even ipod in some cases??

If it runs v6 iOS you can download the v6 airport utility app from itunes store.

That will then allow you to configure your TC.

Or you can invite a friend with a laptop running Lion or Mountain Lion or Mavericks also with the latest version of the airport utilty.

You simply cannot .. do it on your current OS on the iMac.

Or if your macbookpro runs v6 airport utility .. latest version.. then you can do it from that.

Jun 9, 2014 1:12 PM in response to Krissserz

Plug the LAN port TC into the computer by ethernet.

Do this with no other connection to the network.

Make sure the computer has ipv6 set to link-local for both ethernet and wireless.

Factory reset the TC.

The Factory Reset universal

Unplug your TC/AE. Hold in reset. and power the TC/AE back on.. all without releasing reset and keep holding in for about 10sec. The time is not important.. it is the front LED rapid flashing that indicates you are in factory mode.

Release reset.

If it doesn’t flash rapidly you have released reset at some point and try again.

Be Gentle! Feel the switch click on. It has a positive feel.. add no more pressure after that.

TC/AE will reboot after a couple of minutes with default factory settings and will wipe out previous configurations.

No files are deleted on the hard disk.. No reset of the TC deletes files.. to do that you use erase from the airport utility.

Now the TC should show up in the airport utility..

Please do a simple setup, leave it in router mode, and ignore all the problems.

You should now have no issues accessing it. If you do please post again.

But you should be able to mount it manually via finder if it doesn't show up automatically.

Aug 3, 2015 10:42 AM in response to LaPastenague

Hi La Pastenague.

I read your previous posts and decided to ask your opinion.

I have 2 TC that stop working completely one after the other.

I tried the factory reset protocol with no response: the Led stayed off on both TC.

The TC were disconnected completely from the network.

Now I restart my home network thanks to a late 2008 Airport Express, set up using Airport Utility 5.6 under Windows (running inside Paralles Desktop)

I think that the cost of sending the TCs to Apple for repair might overpass the cost of a new TC.

Thank you for your answer.

Flavio Colombo

dr.flavio.colombo@icloud.com

Aug 3, 2015 2:41 PM in response to FlaviAntonio

I have 2 TC that stop working completely one after the other.

I tried the factory reset protocol with no response: the Led stayed off on both TC.

This is well known failure..

If the TC are Gen1 (A1254) or Gen2 (A1302) the power supply is dead. You can get a replacement from ebay.. or repair it if you have DIY skills.

https://sites.google.com/site/lapastenague/a-deconstruction-of-routers-and-modem s/apple-time-capsule-repair

It is not economic really to fix them .. unless you can manage it yourself. Although there are plenty of replacement power supplies on ebay now.

The Gen 3 has a different set of issues.

https://sites.google.com/site/lapastenague/a-deconstruction-of-routers-and-modem s/apple-time-capsule-repair/new-issue-wi…

And Gen4 is worse.

https://sites.google.com/site/lapastenague/a-deconstruction-of-routers-and-modem s/apple-time-capsule-repair/gen4-a1409-issues

That is the first one I cannot repair.. the board failure is too severe and as long as it is less than 3 years just return it to Apple for replacement.. same with AC models. Use the applecare to get it replaced.

Apple will not repair any airport.. if it is under warranty they will replace it..

If you need a new one.. consider carefully as IMHO the newest AC model is not the most reliable product Apple ever made.. and my first one died inside a week.. they seem to have several production and design issues.. which are not being addressed..

TM is also less reliable than I think it should be.

Time Capsule stopped working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.