Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't connect to my Windows machine from my G4 Others Can

Hi,

I'm new here, I'm sure this has come up before, but I couldn't find a solution in the forum.

I'm trying to connect a G4 running 10.3.8 to a Windows 7 PC unsuccessfully. However I can connect to it and share with both an Intell based PowerMac and a newer Power PC G5.

The G4 sees the other computer on the network, but when I enter its username and password I get the message,

"The alias named xxxxxxxxxxx could not be opened because the original item can not be found."

Also, the error message on the console reads,

"mount smbfs: unable to list resources: syserr=function not implimented

I can however successfully ping it through the terminal.

I've pretty much run out of ideas, so if anyone would be able to help I'd really appriciate it.

Thank you,

Eric

Mac OS X (10.3.x)

Posted on May 15, 2014 12:22 PM

10 replies

May 15, 2014 1:05 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua,

Sorry I should have mentioned that. Yes I tried that too, with the same result. It's maddening! As I said I can connect to the PC from all the other computers around me...It's like the login information is getting scrambled or something from this G4.

I also should add I can connect to other Macs in the area with this G4

Update:

Tried going in again through connect to server, which then leads me to the authentication dialog, upon attempting to log in I ge the error message

"The finder can not complete the operation because some of the data in "smb://10.90.217.2 could not be read or written" Error code -36

May 16, 2014 6:11 AM in response to BDAqua

Hmm...

That link seems to be broken also...

Do you think the issue is with the G4 considering I can connect both ways from Mac to PC or PC to Mac, with all the other machines, but I can't connect either way when it involves the G4? Just a thought. Also I wonder if we could connect using the terminal and some Unix commands?

May 16, 2014 11:45 AM in response to eric91485

Hmmm, link works here...

Archived - Mac OS X 10.4: Error -36 alert displays when connecting to a Windows server

This article has been archived and is no longer updated by Apple.

Symptoms

Mac OS X 10.4: Error -36 alert displays when connecting to a Samba or Windows server

After upgrading from Mac OS X 10.3.x to Mac OS X 10.4, you may get an error message when you try to connect to a Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) server. A Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) server includes servers operating on Microsoft Windows and other operating systems that use Samba for SMB/CIFS services.

If the connection is unsuccessful, the following error message may appear:

The Finder cannot complete the operation because some of the data in smb://........ could not be read or written. (Error code -36).

If you check the Console (/Applications/Utilities/), you will also see this error message:

mount_smbfs: session setup phase failed

Resolution

This error can occur if your Mac OS X 10.4 client is trying to connect to a Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) server that only supports plain text passwords. If you do not see the above message in the Console, you are not experiencing this issue and should try normal troubleshooting

Unlike Mac OS X 10.3, the Mac OS X 10.4 SMB/CIFS client by default only supports encrypted passwords. Most modern Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) servers use encrypted passwords by default, while some Samba servers might have to be reconfigured.

You should consider contacting the owner or system administrator of the Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) server to which you are trying to connect and encourage them to disable plain text passwords and start using encrypted ones. If the server cannot be reconfigured to support encrypted passwords, you can configure Mac OS X 10.4 SMB/CIFS client to send plain text passwords.

Warning: If you configure your computer to allow connections to Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) servers using plain text passwords, when you attempt to make any connection to such a Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) server, your password will be sent "in the clear". This means that it is possible for someone who is monitoring your connection to see your password. This could lead to someone compromising the Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) server. We strongly recommend that you configure your Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) servers to exclusively use encrypted passwords.

Follow the steps below to configure your computer to use plain text passwords to make SMB/CIFS connections when the specified Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) server does not support encrypted passwords. (You must be an administrator to do these steps.)

1. Make sure that you are not currently connected to any Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) servers and that you do not have any Samba or Windows-related error messages open.
  2. Open the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/).
  3. At the prompt, type: sudo pico /etc/nsmb.conf
  4. Press Return.
  5. Enter your password when prompted, then press Return again.
  6. You should see an empty file and a "New File" notice at the bottom of the pico window. If you do not see the "New File" notice, this file already exists.
  7. Enter the following into the file so that it appears as follows:

[default]
    minauth=none
  8. Save the file (press Control-O), press Return, then exit pico (Control-X).
  9. Type: sudo chmod a+r /etc/nsmb.conf
  10. Press Return.
  11. Restart your computer.
Important: Information about products not manufactured by Apple is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute Apple’s recommendation or endorsement. Please contact the vendor for additional information.

Also, does the PC connect to that Mac if you enable Windoes Sharing on the Mac?

May 16, 2014 12:30 PM in response to eric91485

Are you running an admin account?

Though it isn't exprssly mentioned here...

Mac OS X: Cannot print, use Classic, start file sharing, burn discs, or update software if /tmp missing...

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA21161?viewlocale=en_US

To avoid these issues, you guessed it, you shouldn't delete the /tmp symbolic link from the Mac OS X volume.

If /tmp is missing, it's easy to make a new one by following these steps:

Mac OS X 10.3 or later

Recreate the missing /tmp link by using the Disk Utility application to repair permissions on your Mac OS X startup volume.

May 19, 2014 9:05 AM in response to eric91485

No luck with that. I wrote and saved the file, but that didn't solve it. Just to be sure, I went back in to make sure the new file was there, and it was. Our help desk here isn't too good at solving these kinds of problems, especially since they don't support Mac's. Were pretty much on our own. I do however know a couple of the networking guys and one of them might be able help me on Wednesday. If anyone else thinks of something I'll be around through Wednesday, then away until next Wednesday.

Thanks for all the help and ideas!

Eric

I can't connect to my Windows machine from my G4 Others Can

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.