Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks 10.9.3 Update Has Disabled Two of My Quad Monitors

I have a Mac Pro 2014 with four 24 inch monitors attached. Two of them are DVI monitors, two of them are HDMI. 3 of them are attached to thunderbolt connections with Active Display Port conversion kits, one is plugged directly into the HDMI port. They were all working swimmingly until today's Mavericks 10.9.3 update, which will now not allow me to have more than 2 of them connected simultaneously. This is incredibly frustrating... I'm guessing it has something to do with the 4k monitor fix contained in the update. Any ideas for a fix? Unfortunately, I didn't do a Time Machine backup prior to the update.

Posted on May 15, 2014 12:52 PM

18 replies

May 15, 2014 1:10 PM in response to sn0wleopard

I am betting you powered off all four monitors after a cold shutdown, powered them all on, and then rebooted. Did that re-enable those 4 monitors?

When I see the two words, “conversion kit,” it may suggest you are doing something that Apple engineering either did not support (and you got away with it until 10.9.3), or they did not consider your configuration as a permutation that they should support, or a bug got through.

I would submit MacPro feedback to Apple. If you clearly state your MacPro, monitor, conversion kit, and other pertinent facts, this may help them help you. Sometimes, the feedback initiates contact to further clarify the issue, and if you are fortunate, this may be your case. In the interim, I would directly contact Apple and see if they can help (sooner).

May 17, 2014 3:55 PM in response to sn0wleopard

I have the same issue with a similar setup.

I have the Late 2013 Mac Pro, and before 10.9.3 I was able to connect my 4 1680x1050 Dell displays to my mac pro via active dvi -> mini display port adapters.

It has always been the case that with passive dvi adapters you could only run 2 at the same time (or 1 + the hdmi out)

Using active adapters allowed you to connect more than 2 DVI displays.

But this seems to have been what has broken under 10.9.3

Now even with active adapters only 2 dvi displays will work at a time.

May 19, 2014 7:54 PM in response to sn0wleopard

Some knowledge base articles that may add clarity to your monitor support woes.

Mac Pro (Late 2013): Using multiple displays.

Using 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs with Mac computers.

And for those on the Boot Camp side with a Mac Pro, late 2013:

Mac Pro (Late 2013): Using multiple displays on Windows 8 via Boot Camp

Make certain you have the latest SMC and EFI firmware updates here. If yours match or are newer, the updates will simply tell you that they will not install.

May 23, 2014 6:30 AM in response to sn0wleopard

I had the same problem with a new Mac Pro. I had 5 Active DisplayPort DVI adapters plugged in and working fine but as soon as I applied the 10.9.3 update only two of the DVI outputs would function. I reset the PRAM and did NVRAM resets, permission checks and all the other usual tools. Any two of the mini DiplayPort outputs will work, but only two. I have a support case open since 5/18/14 with no news other than "it's being worked on."

May 23, 2014 3:25 PM in response to sn0wleopard

Same issue here but with no adapters. I have 2x 4K samsung 28 inch monitors, 2 Apple TB Displays and 2 dell u2711. Only 3 at a time work, doenst matter what combination. On top of which, after updating my late 2013 15MBPr to 10.9.3 he can only support ONE at a time. Doesnt matter 4k or not via TB.

Seems a bit like a joke when my 13 inch can support 2 4k monitors on its Iris GPU :-)

May 26, 2014 2:34 AM in response to sn0wleopard

Same issue here!

Btw there was already a discussion in February about these isssues and it got even worse.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5839209?answerId=24975964022#24975964022&ac_cid=tw123456#24975964

I cannot believe that !

It's already a farce that you have to buy 4 active Apple adapters for connecting multiple monitors of which two are now wortthless?!

On WIN8.1 under bootcamp you just need (1/3 priced) standard ACTIVE adapters to get six outs (ok, I am talking here Single-DVI for for 4x HD).

And btw. the speed of the GPUs under WIN8.1 can be added via Crossfire settings... (which I can't even compare under 10.9.3 because i am only able now to connect two displays...)

What are you doing here Apple?

This is currently really breaking my business ! ! !

djbene

Mavericks 10.9.3 Update Has Disabled Two of My Quad Monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.