Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I try to get mail or send mail I get a window that says "SMPT something and asks for a password. My husband died and took the password with him. I cannot send or get mail. BTW this is a very old iMac desktop.

When I attempt to send or "get" mail a box pops up that says "Enter password fo account SMPT...

The computer was originally set up by my husband and he died taking the password with him. I am unable to send or receive mac.mail on this computer. When I go to the mail preferences I see that he apparently made a 6 character passsword. How can I reconfigure my mac mail so I can use it. Oh yeah... and I canceled his mac mail account so it no longer exists. I just have 946 emails that were received prior to the cancellation of the email account.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 15, 2014 4:13 PM

1 reply

When I try to get mail or send mail I get a window that says "SMPT something and asks for a password. My husband died and took the password with him. I cannot send or get mail. BTW this is a very old iMac desktop.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.