Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I fix my frayed wires on my charger brick ?

I just bought a new charging brick for $80+ bucks. Jeeze. Wires were frayed on each end of the wire that goes from the brick to my Air. I am careful when moving from spot to spot but both ends wore out. Hey, how about a removble/replaceble wire from brick to device?

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on May 15, 2014 5:23 PM

4 replies

May 15, 2014 5:38 PM in response to ihracing

Assuming you have enough room to strip and splice the connection while keeping its shielding intact, sure, you can repair it.

Replaceable power cords would require connectors at each end, increasing the overall fabrication costs, and it would just move the stress from one part of the cable to another. A better idea is to avoid stressing the power cord altogether.

Read:

Using and maintaining your Apple MagSafe Adapter

Reducing cable strain on your MagSafe power adapter

Observe those commonsense practices and your MagSafe adapter will last the life of your Mac.

May 15, 2014 7:11 PM in response to John Galt

OK thanks

Expected anwser.

I still feel that interchangeablilty the the actual cord that takes the most wear would make it quite easy (and cheaper) than a whole new brick. Maybe like $29.95 for a new connecting cord that could be changed out on a perfectly good power brick. Now I just throw them away. Advice? Don't have kids.

May 15, 2014 7:32 PM in response to ihracing

That's not a bad idea, after all it is what's used for iPhones and iPads, but Macs have much higher power requirements and then it has to be implemented using a MagSafe design.

People also manage to break their USB - Lightning cables the same way too, of course they are only about $20 to replace.

Personally I think it's a solution in search of a problem, since I have yet to experience a single problems with any of my portable Mac's power cords, even the barrel style that predated the MagSafe design. They're well over ten years old now. Same goes for the iPhone power cords, and even the original iPod cables, all still perfectly fine.

Other people go through several a year. The problem isn't with the cord.

I suggest you make your suggestion to Apple: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Can I fix my frayed wires on my charger brick ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.