Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Users" folder missing on Macintosh HD

Hello.

I've just updated my MacBook Pro to Mavericks 10.9.3 and iTunes to 11.2. Now my "users" folder is missing when I open my Macintosh HD. I need this folder for some Apps, so I created a temporary folder on my Macintosh HD to recieve some files and then I move them to the right folder. But I want "users" folder back again. I saw an old post about this issue, but it's too old and it's not working for me.

Can someone help me?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on May 15, 2014 9:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2014 9:09 PM

This is a new feature or bug if you want to call it that in OS X 10.9.3

To make the Users folder you have to enter the following command in the terminal followed by your password.

sudo chflags nohidden /Users

57 replies

May 16, 2014 12:07 AM in response to flavioapu

Aparently this fix will not retain after a restart.

Until Apple fixes this, here is a temporary work around.

Copy and paste the following command in the Terminal and then hit Enter followed by your password.

sudo ln -s /Users /Users\ Folder; ln -s /Users/Shared /Users/Shared\ Folder

This will put a link to the Users folder called "Users Folder" on your Hard Drive and a link to the Shared folder called "Shared Folder" inside of the Users folder.

May 16, 2014 2:02 AM in response to flavioapu

it's not only a bug (or someting the like) appearing in 10.9.3

in my case it began in 10.9.2, I tried to correct this updatong to 10.9.3, but no help

and neither correcting it with [sudo chflags nohidden /Users] nor starting a session as root lets the bug definitively be corrected.... with next restart /Users returns to invisibility

curiously the home folder is accesible thru command or the finder preferences of window's side bar

but the 'Guest' or 'Shared' folders are also not accesible if /Users is invisible (sauf with the trick of accesing home folder and then command arrow up)

I really think it's a bug, and will be corrected (but when?)

Emilio

"Users" folder missing on Macintosh HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.